New Jersey News
Child porn stash uncovered in burning NJ home
EAGLESWOOD TOWNSHIP (WABC) -- A professor in New Jersey is under arrest Thursday after firefighters found child pornography in his burning home.
It's an interesting, fire red, boxy house surrounded by Barnegat Bay that's left many passersby with questions.
"My husband and I always looked, wondered what it was," said Camille Russo.
The house was built, and is owed by 76-year-old Gamal El-Zoghby an architect and professor at Pratt Institute of Brooklyn.
The Press of Atlantic City took pictures, as firefighters doused the fire last night that severely damaged the home.
And as they pulled down ceiling tiles, images of pornography rained down on them.
A few images which may end up being bigger trouble to the professor than the fire itself.
State police describe them as magazine shots of naked, under-aged girls.
Professor El Zoghby spoke to Eyewitness News by phone saying he hasn't seen that material in decades.
"It was trash from the 60s and 70s and I did not act upon what the trash is," he said.
But as news spread of the fire and the find, people have been passing by the house at the end of dock road, all day, as crews shuttered it.
The professor lives mostly in New York. He says he bought the magazines from a store in Times Square decades ago, and has wanted to get rid of it for years.
It was difficult because I cannot just put it out in the public. I don't want to subject other young adults to that," he adds.
So, he says he put it in the ceiling of his vacation home. But the fire ended his secret hiding place.
Pratt Institute says the Professor is now on a leave of absence while the school investigates.
The professor pleads for some understanding about old magazines that have come back to haunt him.
"All I need is people to understand and they don't misinterpret me in my 40's and 50's alright?"
Get Eyewitness News Delivered
new jersey, pornography, arrest, new jersey news, toni yates
- Missing Brooklyn boy found safe on subway 17 min ago
- AccuWeather: March roller coaster
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- Get WATCH ABC for your mobile device
- 5 injured when car crashes into Bronx store
- Oheka Castle owner speaks out in video
- Newtown shooter's father speaks out for 1st time
- Metro-North worker fatally struck by train in NYC
- 4-year closure of Tarrytown Tappan Zee ramp begins
- Search continues for missing plane; 2 flew on stolen passports
- Photos: Malaysia Airlines missing plane
- NY-native bank robbery suspect nabbed after selfies
- UConn sophomore accuses sorority sisters of hazing
- Photos: 10 suspects caught in the act
- Missing Brooklyn boy found safe on subway
17 min ago