New Jersey News
Star athlete and student expelled for tweets
RAMSEY, N.J. (WABC) -- The college football career of one of the top high school players in the country could be derailed because of what he tweeted.
Don Bosco Prep cornerback Yuri Write has already been expelled for those messages that were racial and sexually graphic.
"Georgia, Cal, Michigan State, Notre Dame," Wright said.
Rattling off his prospects to ESPN, high school football player Yuri Wright had every reason to feel as good about his future as he felt about his football.
That is, until some of the colleges got a look at his bad tweeting habits.
The tweets were so raunchy and racist Eyewitness News had to blur out all the offensive words when airing the story.
The mildest one, and it is by no means mild says, "Yo - my pops just drove by and splash some Jewish lady with mad water".
Yuri Wright is now expelled from his Catholic high school, Don Bosco Prep, in Ramsey.
No one from the school's administration was willing to talk about the consequences for students who make overly explicit comments in social media, but certainly the students at Don Bosco are talking.
"I feel bad for him, but what he did was completely not right and I don't want to say he deserves the punishment he gets, but the punishment fits the crime," said Mike Flanagan, a Don Bosco Prep junior.
"Don't get a Twitter," said another student.
In fact, some parents Eyewitness News talked to say that they warn their kids every day about what they put out on the internet.
"I have a 25-year-old that went through going on the job search and everything and you know, she has to be unsearchable," said Judy Consiglio, a parent.
Experts say, keep in mind, you don't have to be a star athlete to be scrutinized and understand, this is the new permanent record.
"You put up whatever is in your head, at the moment, but it could last forever," said Prof. Paul Levinson, Fordham University Media Studies.
Get Eyewitness News Delivered
new jersey, new jersey news, stacey sager
- Hospital warns of possible blood contamination
- AccuWeather: Stormy changes on the way
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- Get WATCH ABC for your mobile device
- Boy, 2, found with heroin at Paterson day care center
- Pharmacists accused in HIV medication scam
- Teen girl shot in leg in Coney Island
- Firefighters battling Bronx car fire find body inside
- Ex-Christie aides want traffic jam subpoenas withdrawn
- Malaysia plane changed direction, military says
- Obama, in NYC for fundraising trip, shops at Gap
- Call released after Oregon couple calls 911 on pet cat
- Photos: 'The Bachelor' Season 18 finale in pictures
- Photos: Countdown: The 25 highest-paid musicians
Eyewitness News Links
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos