New Jersey News
NJ Marine killed in Afghanistan helicopter crash
WOODBRIDGE, N.J. (WABC) -- Federal officials say a central New Jersey man was among six Marines killed when their helicopter went down this week in Afghanistan.
The Department of Defense says 25-year-old Cpl. Kevin Reinhard of Woodbridge Township died Thursday while supporting combat operations in the Helmand province.
Reinhard and the other Marines were assigned to Marine Heavy Helicopter Squadron 363, Marine Aircraft Group 24, 1st Marine Aircraft Wing, III Marine Expeditionary Force based in Kaneohe Bay, Hawaii.
Family members say Reinhard had enlisted in the Marines in the spring of 2008 and was serving his second tour of duty overseas. He was due to return home to New Jersey in a few weeks.
Reinhard was a 2005 graduate of St. Joseph High School in Metuchen, where he played on the volleyball team.
Get Eyewitness News Delivered
new jersey, afghanistan, new jersey news
- Winter Weather Advisory 21 min ago
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- Get WATCH ABC for your mobile device
- iWitness Photos and Videos
- Multiple people injured in Toms River bus accident 33 min ago
- Wintry mix causes slick roads, massive pileup 16 min ago
- New Jersey preparing for another dose of snow 3 min ago
- NJ Transit cross-honoring tickets system-wide
- Nelson Mandela memorial set for Tuesday in Soweto
- Tough new NYC cockroaches can withstand winter cold
- No tailgating to be allowed at NY/NJ Super Bowl
- Newtown families create website to honor Sandy Hook victims
- Photos: Bronx River Parkway crash
- Photos: AccuWeather Forecast in pictures
- Wintry mix causes slick roads, massive pileup
16 min ago
- Winter Weather Advisory
21 min ago