New Jersey News
Driver sought in fatal hit and run in New Jersey
NEW BRUNSWICK (WABC) -- Police in New Jersey are searching for the driver of a sports utility vehicle who fled the scene after striking and killing a 26-year-old bicyclist.
Surveillance video showed a heartbreaking look at the last few moments of Leonel Hernandez's life.
The 26-year-old is seen riding his bike home just before he was run down by a driver who just kept going.
White roses mark that spot Thursday night with a card in Spanish that reads "Rest in peace my love".
Allison Eli gave the video to police.
"It was dark and kind of hard to see and up the corner," Eli said.
Hernandez left his job as a custodian at Bristol-Myers Squibb at 10:30 Wednesday Night.
That's when police say a dark colored Toyota 4Runner built between 1995 and 2002 hit him near the corner of Georges Road and South Talmadge Street and then kept going.
"I just saw the headlights and then kind of saw the car speeding past the office," Eli said.
Eli hopes investigators catch the driver who left a hard working young father of two bleeding to death on the side of the road.
"It's horrible and I feel horrible for his family and you know I wish them well and it's a horrible thing," Eli said.
The Toyota 4Runner sustained damage to the driver's side. In addition, the driver's side rear window was shattered.
Anyone with information is urged to call the New Brunswick Police Department at 732-745-5200 or the Middlesex County Prosecutor's Office at 732-745-3927.
Get Eyewitness News Delivered
new jersey, new brunswick, hit and run accident, new jersey news, carolina leid
- 4 people shot in Brooklyn
- Photos: Accuweather maps for possible Sunday snow storm
- AccuWeather: Cold, but milder
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- Surveillance from East Harlem buildings near explosion
- raw video: New video just after East Harlem Explosion
- East Harlem explosion: More on the victims
- Photos: East Harlem explosion
- East Harlem Explosion: How to Help
- Sketches released of suspects wanted in lurings
- Bus driver suffers medical emergency, 2 injured
- ESPN: Phil Jackson signs with Knicks
- Westchester animal shelter in danger of collapsing
- Photos: Several vehicles on fire in New Jersey