New Jersey News
NJ cop accidentally shoots self during arrest
ELIZABETH, N.J. (WABC) -- The arrest of a violent carjacking suspect took an unexpected turn in New Jersey and landed a police officer in the hospital.
The Jersey City cop, identified as Jesse Soto, accidentally shot himself in the stomach during the surprise takedown.
Authorities were looking for a female suspect who was arrested Thursday night in an apartment complex in Elizabeth. She was a fugitive who had skipped out on a court date.
Latoya Campbell, 20, was the suspect in a violent carjacking in October of 2009 in Jersey City. She is facing a prison term that could land her behind bars for more than three decades.
Police raided a second-floor apartment at the Templeton Arms complex and took her into custody without incident just before 10:30 p.m. That's when Soto, trying to put his gun back in his holster, accidentally shot himself in the stomach.
He was rushed to University Hospital, where he was treated and released. The bullet was a through-and-through shot and did not hit any vital organs.
Get Eyewitness News Delivered
new jersey, elizabeth, police officer shot, new jersey news, anthony johnson
- Bible from East Harlem church found in debris
- AccuWeather: Cold Sunday
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- Get WATCH ABC for your mobile device
- East Harlem Explosion: How to Help
- East Harlem community tries to move forward after explosion
- Photos: East Harlem explosion
- Comedian David Brenner, 'Tonight' favorite, dies
- Photos: Famous deaths in 2014
- Focus turns to pilots as hunt for Malaysian jet widens
- Toddler survives after tumbling onto subway tracks
- Sick patrons interrupt Broadway show performance
- Widow of Short Hills mall carjacking victim files suit
- Video: Manhattan clinches first NCAA bid in a decade
Eyewitness News Links
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos