New Jersey News
Closing arguments expected in NJ schoolyard trial
NEWARK -- Closing arguments will soon be made in the trial of a man charged in the execution-style killings of three Newark friends in 2007.
Jose Carranza declined to testify in his own defense. He was among six men and boys arrested for the murders of Dashon Harvey, Iofemi Hightower and Terrance "T.J." Aeriel in a playground behind Newark's Mount Vernon School.
The victims were attending or planning to attend Delaware State University.
Carranza, an illegal immigrant from Peru, was free on bail in an unrelated case when the murders occurred.
Two co-defendants have been convicted and two others pleaded guilty. One testified against Carranza, saying he slashed and sexually assaulted a fourth victim who survived the attack.
Authorities say the closing arguments in the case will likely come Monday
Get Eyewitness News Delivered
new jersey, newark, murder, new jersey news
- AccuWeather Forecast: Wintry Mix On The Way
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- Get WATCH ABC for your mobile device
- iWitness Photos and Videos
- Snow hits southern New Jersey, heads for NYC 31 min ago
- Is school closed or delayed? Find out fast: Here's how!
- Yaphank church badly damaged by fire 17 min ago
- New York City unveils interactive map of major crimes
- Suspect charged with assaulting cop with cane
- Potential major advancement made in fight against leukemia
- NJ restaurant parts ways with gay waitress
- Video: Phil Lipof says goodbye to Eyewitness News
- Up Close with Diana Williams
- Tiempo on WABC-TV