New Jersey News
NJ police warn of impersonator canvassing homes
CLIFTON (WABC) -- Police in New Jersey are warning homeowners to be on the lookout for a man who poses as a cop to gain access to their homes.
According to authorities, the man struck at least three times in the area of Broad and Grove streets in Clifton on February 2.
During the late morning and early afternoon hours, the man reportedly rang door bells while dressed in dark blue clothing resembling that of a police uniform and displaying a star-shaped badge.
The suspect allegedly advised each resident that due to an influx of burglaries in the area, the Sheriff's Department was conducting a survey for the future installation of free surveillance cameras in homes located on main roads.
Two of the residents denied the suspect entry. However, one of the residents allowed the suspect inside her home, where he proceeded to survey the interior for approximately 45 minutes.
The suspect reportedly asked security-related questions while continuously writing in a notebook. At one point, police say the resident lost sight of the suspect and eventually realized that he had fled the home. It is unknown whether he stole anything during the incident.
The suspect was described as a white male in his 20s, with a medium build and straight, black hair. Anyone having experienced a similar incident, or with any information regarding these acts, is urged to contact the Clifton Police Detective Bureau at 973-470-5908.
Get Eyewitness News Delivered
new jersey, clifton, police impersonation, home invasion, new jersey news
- East Harlem investigation focuses on basement 37 min ago
- AccuWeather: Much Colder
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- Get WATCH ABC for your mobile device
- Church services to remember East Harlem victims 45 min ago
- Photos: East Harlem explosion
- Brooklyn fire leaves 2 children critically hurt
- 2 shot after fight at Garden City nightclub
- Kenya's Geoffrey Mutai wins 2014 NYC Half 13 min ago
- Malaysia asks countries for radar data to help find jet
- Here and Now
- Viewpoint on WABC-TV
- Tiempo on WABC-TV
- Up Close with Diana Williams
- East Harlem investigation focuses on basement
37 min ago