New Jersey News
NJ police warn of impersonator canvassing homes
CLIFTON (WABC) -- Police in New Jersey are warning homeowners to be on the lookout for a man who poses as a cop to gain access to their homes.
According to authorities, the man struck at least three times in the area of Broad and Grove streets in Clifton on February 2.
During the late morning and early afternoon hours, the man reportedly rang door bells while dressed in dark blue clothing resembling that of a police uniform and displaying a star-shaped badge.
The suspect allegedly advised each resident that due to an influx of burglaries in the area, the Sheriff's Department was conducting a survey for the future installation of free surveillance cameras in homes located on main roads.
Two of the residents denied the suspect entry. However, one of the residents allowed the suspect inside her home, where he proceeded to survey the interior for approximately 45 minutes.
The suspect reportedly asked security-related questions while continuously writing in a notebook. At one point, police say the resident lost sight of the suspect and eventually realized that he had fled the home. It is unknown whether he stole anything during the incident.
The suspect was described as a white male in his 20s, with a medium build and straight, black hair. Anyone having experienced a similar incident, or with any information regarding these acts, is urged to contact the Clifton Police Detective Bureau at 973-470-5908.
Get Eyewitness News Delivered
new jersey, clifton, police impersonation, home invasion, new jersey news
- AccuWeather Alert: Flash flood warning for NYC 21 min ago
- Eyewitness News Live
- iWitness Photos and Videos
- WATCH ABC is available to Channel 7 viewers
- Photos: Flash flooding in the New York area 1 min ago
- Suspect in custody in Queens bus shooting 16 min ago
- Woman arrested in shooting death of Jersey City boy 11 min ago
- Students injured in Brooklyn pepper spray incident 22 min ago
- Threat prompts lockdown at Saddle Brook schools
- UK: London terror attack suspects had been probed
- Anthony Weiner courts voters in Harlem Thursday
- Queens businessman kidnapped and tortured
- Photos: Top Pictures of the Week
- Secret Sales: Brownies, Diamonds and a super secret sale
- AccuWeather Alert: Flash flood warning for...
21 min ago