New Jersey News
DCS report says Glover-Morgan case mishandled
TRENTON, N.J. (WABC) -- There's a scathing report about the agency that's supposed to protect children in New Jersey.
Specifically, a little girl who police say was killed by her father.
The report says social workers missed obvious signs of child abuse and violence against the 2 year old.
"You're asking the right questions. We all want a system that we can maintain so that not another death happens," said Donna Pressma, CEO, The Children's Home Society of NJ.
Donna Pressma runs The Children's Home Society of NJ, a partner with the state to protect children at risk, like 2-year-old Tierra Morgan.
The Department of Children and Families report listed instances of domestic violence and substance abuse allegations surrounding Tierra's family.
Her life ended in a cold stream on a court ordered visit with her father.
Arthur Morgan is accused of strapping Tierra to her car seat, and tossing her into the water.
Her mother told Eyewitness News in November, the system let her down.
The DCS report, released Tuesday says the case could have been handled better, that DYFS failed to understand issues that domestic violence case workers found within the family.
It found that child and substance abuse red flags were not properly considered, and supervisors didn't adequately follow the case thoroughly.
Pressma says trying to protect kids has become a huge undertaking.
"We're talking thousands of kids and families, thousands of staff that work for the system," Pressma said.
There are cracks, she says, because, it depends on individuals making the right decisions.
"We're human, we make mistakes," Pressma said.
She says DCS Commissioner Allison Blake is already tweaking procedures and enhancing training to move closer to a system that can better save lives.
Get Eyewitness News Delivered
new jersey, child abuse, child death, new jersey news, toni yates
- 4 injured, including child in Bronx fire
- AccuWeather: Warmer days ahead
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- iWitness Photos and Videos
- City Council passes plastic foam, e-cigarette bills
- Over 75 injured in London theatre roof collapse
- String of carjackings in Elizabeth
- Triple stabbing at Stamford High School
- Human error contributed in delay of Ariel Russo 911 response
- Tax trouble for taxi tycoon?
- Photos: Injuries reported in Clifton, NJ bus accident
- Consumer Reports: Nasty Chicken
- Target: 40 million accounts may be involved in breach
- Target data breach: 7 Things to know
Eyewitness News Links
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos