New Jersey News
Prosecutors: No charges in NJ fatal failed robbery
NEWARK -- Essex County prosecutors say they won't file charges in the death of a would-be robber who was killed last weekend when his intended victims fought back.
Authorities say 30-year-old Gian Davis approached two college students early Saturday and asked to use a cell phone. He then knocked one of the students to the ground and assaulted the other when he tried to intervene.
But the students soon subdued Davis and called 911. Officers soon took Davis to a hospital, where he was pronounced dead a short time later.
A cause of death has not been disclosed.
Acting County Prosecutor Carolyn Murray said Wednesday that her office won't file charges in the case. But she said the investigation is ongoing and could eventually be presented to a grand jury.
Get Eyewitness News Delivered
new jersey, newark, robbery, new jersey news
- Police search for missing 11-year old Brooklyn boy
- AccuWeather: Changeable Week
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- Get WATCH ABC for your mobile device
- Vietnam says it may have found missing jet's door
- Cherry Hill Mall parking dispute turns violent
- Squatters flee fire in Paterson; 2 vacant buildings gutted
- Photos: Fire guts 2 vacant Paterson buildings
- Man arrested for stealing money from donation box 11 min ago
- Liam Neeson tours stables amid carriage horse debate
- Toronto Mayor Rob Ford gets daylight saving time wrong
- Toddler's FaceTime saves mother after dog bite
- Antonio Cromartie released by Jets
- Photos: 10 suspects caught in the act