New Jersey News
2 men arrested in Fort Lee police chase
FORT LEE, N.J. (WABC) -- In New Jersey, a police pursuit ended with two banged up police cars and the two suspects in custody.
At about 5 p.m. a Port Authority police officer was driving westbound on the George Washington Bridge when he observed a maroon Acura driving at a high rate of speed.
The officer tried to stop the vehicle by activating his sirens but the driver, 28-year-old Joseph Powers of Suffern, ignored him.
The officer then pulled alongside of vehicle to make sure the driver saw him.
The driver of the Acura then swerved into the officer's vehicle striking the car.
The officer followed the Acura into Lemoine Avenue in Fort Lee heading south.
The officer had called for assistance and another Port Authority officer had positioned himself north bound on Lemoine Ave to intercept the car.
At this point the Acura struck the waiting police car head on.
Officers immediately placed the Powers and his passenger, 28-year-old Edward Ceus of Spring Valley, under arrest.
Police believe Powers was under the influence of some type of narcotic.
Hypodermic needles were found in the vehicle and officers observed track marks on his arm.
Powers and Ceus are facing charges of aggravated assault, eluding officers and possession of drug paraphernalia.
One officer was taken to Englewood hospital with non-life threatening injuries.
Get Eyewitness News Delivered
new jersey, fort lee, police chase, new jersey news
- AccuWeather Forecast: Wintry Mix On The Way 53 min ago
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- Get WATCH ABC for your mobile device
- iWitness Photos and Videos
- Snow alert issued for New York City 27 min ago
- Yaphank church badly damaged by fire
- Suspect charged with assaulting cop with cane
- NJ restaurant parts ways with gay waitress
- Staten Island buyback collects nearly 100 guns 57 min ago
- Police hunt driver in deadly Queens hit and run
- South Africans pray for Mandela in day of mourning
- Photos: Nelson Mandela through the years
- Newtown groups open week of 'acts of kindness'
- Potential major advancement made in fight against leukemia
- AccuWeather Forecast: Wintry Mix On The Way
53 min ago