New Jersey News
2 children dead after dental visits
IRVINGTON, N.J. (WABC) -- Two sets of parents are demanding a criminal investigation into the same dentist in New Jersey.
A child from both families suddenly died after routine visits to the dentist.
"He was my dream.. My future. The light of my life," said Jose Quiej, the patient's father.
Little Juan Quiej was just three years old and suffered cardiac arrest during a routine dental procedure.
His mother watched helplessly as Juan slipped away.
"I started shaking and crying," Antonia Chajchalac-Garcia, the patient's mother said, "To this day, I don't know what happened or why."
She brought her son to Dental Health Associates in Irvington, New Jersey.
The procedure was conducted last week under local anesthesia by Patrick Bamgboye.
His dental license was suspended after a six-year-old patient died under somewhat similar circumstances in 2004.
"This is shocking, and they should have done something in the first place," said Farah Torres, the patient's mother.
Kyneicha Pagan had cerebral palsy and suffered a seizure.
But, his license was suspended for, "Failing to obtain an appropriate medical history, failing to adequately assess the patient's medical condition, and failing to ensure all emergency equipment was available."
Dr. Bamgboye, the board concluded, "Has engaged in repeated acts of negligence."
State regulations allowed the dentist to resume practicing under probation.
Joseph Ginarte is now representing both families.
Get Eyewitness News Delivered
new jersey, irvington, child death, new jersey news, n.j. burkett
- Bronx fire leaves 2 dead, 3 firefighters hurt 26 min ago
- AccuWeather: Warmer stretch arrives 44 min ago
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- iWitness Photos and Videos
- City Council passes plastic foam, e-cigarette bills
- Over 75 injured in London theatre roof collapse
- 4 injured, including child in Bronx fire
- Target: 40 million accounts may be involved in breach
- String of carjackings in Elizabeth
- Triple stabbing at Stamford High School
- Tax trouble for taxi tycoon?
- Photos: Injuries reported in Clifton, NJ bus accident
- Consumer Reports: Nasty Chicken
- Photos: Deadly fire in the Bronx 26 min ago
- AccuWeather: Warmer stretch arrives
44 min ago