New Jersey News
1 triplet's condition upgraded after NJ bus crash
CHESTERFIELD, N.J. (WABC) -- Hospital officials in New Jersey say the condition of one of the sisters of an 11-year-old triplet killed in a school bus crash has improved.
A spokeswoman for Cooper University Hospital in Camden says Natalie Tezsla's condition has been upgraded to stable, from critical. But her sister Sophie Tezsla remains in critical condition, as does a third student, 11-year-old Jonathan Zdybel.
The girls are the daughters of a New Jersey state trooper.
The crash Thursday in the town of Chesterfield, south of Trenton, killed the Tezslas' other sister - Isabelle.
The accident occurred when a dump truck collided with the school bus, which was carrying 25 children to Chesterfield Elementary in Burlington County. An investigation into the cause continues and no charges have been filed.
Meanwhile, grief counselors are on hand Friday at the elementary school.
People in the community gathered Thursday night to show their support for the grieving families.
Seventeen other students on the bus were treated for minor injuries.
Gov. Chris Christie called the crash "a terrible tragedy."
"The family's grief must be enormous," Christie said in a statement. "We can only imagine their pain and lend our support and prayers in this most difficult of times. We are sure that all of Chesterfield Township, the family of State Police men and women, and indeed residents all across New Jersey, have the Tezslas in their thoughts and prayers. Our same concerns and prayers extend to the other children aboard the bus, particularly Jonathan Zdybel, the young boy who also remains hospitalized and in critical condition."
The driver of the school bus was identified as John Tieman, 66, of Beverly, and the driver of the dump truck as Michael Caporale, 38, of New Egypt.
Get Eyewitness News Delivered
new jersey, school bus accident, child injured, new jersey news
- LI tanker crash sends fireball into the sky 43 min ago
- AccuWeather: Cold Wednesday, but warmup coming
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- iWitness Photos and Videos
- Photos: Tanker explodes on Sunrise Highway
- 2 winning tickets sold in $636 million Mega Millions 27 min ago
- LI man to be arraigned in 7 'knockout game' assaults 47 min ago
- Multi-car pileup on Gowanus Expressway in Brooklyn 30 min ago
- Photos: Massive car pileup on Gowanus Expressway
- Short Hills Mall shooting: Funeral to be held Wednesday 8 min ago
- Family pushes for drug/alcohol testing after fatal accidents
- Photos: Scared Santa
- Anchorman 2 cast talks about much-anticipated sequel
- Photos: Most Fascinating People of 2013
- Multi-car pileup on Gowanus Expressway in...
30 min ago
Eyewitness News Links
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos