New Jersey News
Jury selection begins in Rutgers webcam spying case
NEW BRUNSWICK -- The first phase of jury selection began Friday in the trial of a former Rutgers University student accused of using a webcam to spy on his roommate's intimate encounter with another man.
The case sparked a national conversation about the impact of bullying on young gays after the roommate, Tyler Clementi, committed suicide in September 2010, days after the intimate encounter.
Dharun Ravi faces 15 charges, including invasion of privacy and hindering prosecution. The most serious charge is bias intimidation, a hate crime punishable by 10 years in prison. The 19-year-old Ravi isn't charged in connection with Clementi's death.
But the suicide looms so large in the case that the judge told jurors about it.
About 2,000 prospective jurors were summoned, but most had conflicts that would prevent them from serving in a trial expected to last three to four weeks.
More than 200 were brought to the Middlesex County Courthouse on Friday to start filling out questionnaires. A few dozen of them were dismissed because of hardships, including one man who said that "emotionally" he didn't belong on the jury. He was excused without being asked to explain further.
Lawyers in the case are scheduled to meet Tuesday to go through the surveys and decide which jurors have conflicts or other reasons that make them ineligible. Those remaining are to be brought back on Wednesday for interviews.
It's not clear when the process will be complete and opening arguments will be held.
new jersey, rutgers university, tyler clementi, new jersey news
- 4 dead, 280 missing in South Korea ferry disaster 18 min ago
- AccuWeather: Sharply Colder
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- DISH Network signs on for WATCH ABC app
- Bronx sweep nets suspected gang members 30 min ago
- Rare spring snow coats cars, slicks roads
- Photos: Spring snow around New York area
- Jenny McCarthy announces engagement on "The View" 44 min ago
- Sketch released of suspect in East Village sex assault 18 min ago
- Boston police destroy 2 backpacks at marathon site
- Teen clerk beaten in Astoria deli robbery; $30,000 stolen
- Camera catches Bronx home invaders using victim's card
- College Board provides a glimpse of new SAT 59 min ago
- Photos: Adorable meerkats befriend photographer
- Sketch released of suspect in East Village...
18 min ago
Eyewitness News Links
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos