New Jersey News
How to save time or money on your commute
NEW JERSEY (WABC) -- As of January 1st, our area saw one of the biggest toll hikes in recent memory: 50% on the NJ Turnpike and Garden State Parkway.
That pushed many to find alternate routes to save money.
Eyewitness News reporter Phil Lipof is helping drivers decide what to do by showing you two separate routes. They both start in Edison, New Jersey and they both end at the Holland Tunnel.
They will both cost you, one with money, one with time.
He started with the Turnpike. That should be the fastest, then a week from today, from the same place at the same time, he will use Route 1. It should be the cheapest, then you decide."
He started the clock on Trip A at 7:15 on a Thursday morning.
For the most part, he was able to drive 55-65.
Not much traffic on the Turnpike, although there was a price.
Traffic was a little heavier once we hit 78, and then on the approach to the Holland, it really backed up.
So, Phil stopped right before the Holland Tunnel, and it took him 52 minutes and 42 seconds.
Fast forward exactly one week.
This time he was on a mission to save some money.
He started at the same place in Edison. He had the same vehicle, but this time he was going to take a different route, Route 1, now there are many more lights and it could take more time, but for sure we will save money.
So he set the clock, and we are off on Trip B.
In Elizabeth, there were residual delays en route to the Goethals Bridge.
The approach to the Holland from 1 and 9 was better though than the Turnpike.
For those of you keeping score, that is about 12 minutes longer, but it's free.
It adds up. That's a savings of $32.50 a week, one way.
For the month, you'll save $130, but over the course of that same month, you'll spend four more hours in the car.
So you have to make the decision for yourself, the time or the money?
Get Eyewitness News Delivered
new jersey, toll hike, holland tunnel, new jersey news, phil lipof
- Exclusive: Mistaken identity arrest
- AccuWeather: Milder, maybe a shower
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- Get WATCH ABC for your mobile device
- Measles cases confirmed in Manhattan, Bronx
- Mount Vernon responds to racist tweets by Mahopac players
- Wallington firefighter killed in blaze laid to rest
- Lehigh Valley Dairy recalls orange juice over milk concerns
- Bridget Kelly fights order to give up Bridgegate records
- Ukraine base in Crimea under siege
- Virus hijacks your computer till you pay
- Battling a third party energy company
- Carmen Berra, wife of Yogi Berra dies at 85 17 min ago
- Photos: $3.25M summer home in Ocean City, NJ
Eyewitness News Links
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos