New Jersey News
Swift invites NJ teen, with cancer, to awards show
SOMERDALE, N.J. -- She couldn't make it to his prom, but country star Taylor Swift had another proposal for a New Jersey teenager battling cancer.
In a post on her Facebook page Friday afternoon, Swift asked 18-year-old Kevin McGuire of Stratford to be her date to the Academy of Country Music Awards on April 3rd in Las Vegas.
Swift's publicist confirmed to WPVI, WABC's sister station, that the post is legitimate.
The message reads:
Kevin, I'm so sorry but I won't be able to make it to your prom. But I was wondering, the ACM Awards are coming up.. Would you be my date? Love, Taylor
Action News is working to contact McGuire for his reaction.
This is culmination of a week of efforts that began online.
Stratford is currently being treated at Children's Hospital of Philadelphia for a relapse of the leukemia he was first diagnosed with five years ago.
The intense chemotherapy he's now undergoing means he'll go bald soon and he worried aloud to his big sister Tori that no one would want to go to the prom with a guy who has no hair.
"I said what if I got Taylor Swift to go to the prom with you? His eyes lit up for the first time since he was diagnosed," Tori said Thursday.
So Tori set up the "Taylor Swift take Kevin McGuire To Prom!" page.
Plus, #teamkevin was trending throughout Wednesday night on Twitter - including tweets from football great Emmitt Smith, Adult Swim, Perez Hilton, and rapper Travie McCoy who wrote, "#TeamKevin let's help this fella out guys!"
Kevin attends Sterling High School in Somerdale where he played football and was featured in 2010 on Channel 6's High School Huddle show.
"Kevin is the kindest, most noble 18-year-old a person could even fathom meeting, and throughout his ups and downs Kevin never even questioned 'why me?'" Tori wrote on the Facebook page.
And to Kevin, Taylor Swift - a multi-time Grammy Award winner and Pennsylvania native - is the ideal prom date.
"Someone who's confident, someone who will make me have a good time and not feel like a sick kid," Kevin said.
WPVI is a sister station of WABC.
Get Eyewitness News Delivered
new jersey, cancer, new jersey news
- AccuWeather: More snow Saturday
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- Get WATCH ABC for your mobile device
- iWitness Photos and Videos
- De Blasio selects Barrios-Paoli as deputy mayor 10 min ago
- Baruch College student dies in apparent frat ritual
- Fire burns through house in New Brunswick
- Woman twerking serves as lookout for alleged burglar
- Golden Globes nominations announced
- Newtown school shooting vigils planned for Thursday
- Mandela interpreter says he was hallucinating
- George Bush writes letter to Alabama kicker after big loss
- Software engineer teaches homeless man how to code
- Photos: New Brunswick, New Jersey house fire