New Jersey News
Employee arrested for threats against Orange mayor
ORANGE, N.J. (WABC) -- A city employee in Orange, New Jersey is facing charges for allegedly making a death threat against the mayor.
The alleged threat was caught on tape.
The Department of Public Works employee accused of making the death threat was laid off last year for several months as a result of the mayor's budget cuts.
He eventually got his job back, but the sting of being laid off apparently never wore off.
41-year-old William Hathaway is accused of making terroristic threats against the City of Orange Mayor Eldridge Hawkins, Jr.
Undercover recordings, including disturbing language, were posted on YouTube: "If it wasn't for the law, I'd kill that black (expletive). Shoot him right in the head. Right in front of his mother and father."
Making the threat more frightening, Mayor Hawkins' mother Linda actually volunteers for her son's office, helping him with media relations.
He has received additional security in light of the threat.
"It's not the first death threat against me, it won't be the last, but I'm going to keep doing what I think is the right thing," Mayor Hawkins said.
At the beginning of his profanity-filled rant, Hathaway explains why he is so angry at the Mayor.
"He cut my job when he was first became the mayor," Hathaway said.
To avoid a 20% property tax hike for residents, Mayor Hawkins laid off almost half of the Orange public works employees last year.
He eventually hired many of them back, including William Hathaway, who worked part-time making less than $35,000 a year.
"I'm going to do what I need to do, even if it upsets William Hathaway or anyone else in the community," Mayor Hawkins said.
He was cordial to the mayor while working within the Democratic Party organization.
Hathaway has been released on $5,000 bail, and is suspended without pay.
Get Eyewitness News Delivered
new jersey, orange, new jersey news, jen maxfield
- Mom 'steals' car - without even realizing it
- AccuWeather: Clear and chilly 48 min ago
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- DISH Network signs on for WATCH ABC app
- Man claims football players beat him in Soho club
- N.J. woman charged with trying to kill her 3 children
- Firefighters rescue 80-year-old man from Bronx fire Wednesday...
- Fire at Red Carpet Inn in Elmwood Park, New Jersey
- Suspect in Boston rice cooker incident sent to psych hospital
- Hundreds still missing in South Korea ferry disaster 20 min ago
- Rare spring snow coats cars, slicks roads
- Photos: Spring snow around New York area
- Jenny McCarthy announces engagement on "The View"
- Drugs stashed in hiding places in Manhattan apartments
- AccuWeather: Clear and chilly
48 min ago