New Jersey News
Police search for Jersey City playground arsonist
JERSEY CITY (WABC) -- Video captured by a security camera in Jersey City's Lincoln Park shows an orange glow in the dead of night.
Around 12:30 a.m. Tuesday, flames engulfed the playground.
Officials say an arsonist poured gasoline all over the equipment causing $50,000 to $100,000 in damage.
Fortunately, no one was hurt.
"It's a sick individual. There's no logical reason why someone would do this," Freeholder Bill O'Dea said.
O'Dea says investigators are closely combing surveillance video taken by cameras in and around Lincoln Park hoping they'll find the clue they need to catch who did this.
In the meantime, the playground is fenced off and Amasia Oliver, 4, won't be able to use it.
"I don't want nobody to burn it down," Oliver said. She says it makes her sad that someone burned down her playground.
Amasia's mother Krystal Oliver says she's just happy no one was hurt.
"It could have branched out. There's a tree right there. It could have been much worse than what it was," Krystal Oliver said.
But the sight of charred metal and police tape is unsettling for Amasia, who says she wants to play there again.
When asked what she thinks of when she looks at the burned playground she said, "The bad guys. I don't want the park to go down because I want to play with all my friends."
So far no arrests, as the investigation continues.
Get Eyewitness News Delivered
new jersey, jersey city, arson, new jersey news
- weather: AccuTrack Interactive Radar
- AccuWeather Forecast: Rain and clouds
- Eyewitness News Live
- WATCH ABC is available to Channel 7 viewers
- Gridlock traffic for Memorial Day weekend getaway
- Long Island 'Hot Dog Hooker' arrested again
- 17-year-old brutally beaten with bat at gas station
- Police shoot and kill suspect in Ridgefield, Conn.
- Amanda Bynes released after court appearance
- Bridge collapse calls into question other bridges' safety
- Eats: Camarones Mi Pueblo at Zapata in Palisades
- abcnews: Cleveland Women Can Keep Captor's Dogs
- Photos: Circle 7 at GMA's Summer Concert Series
- Photos: I-5 Skagit River Bridge collapse
Eyewitness News Links
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed VideoMost Viewed Photos