New Jersey News
Janitors accused of tying up, gagging boys
LONG BRANCH (WABC) -- Two maintenance workers at an elementary school in New Jersey are suspended, accused of tying up and gagging four boys inside a bathroom.
The incident reportedly happened at Gregory Elementary School in Long Branch Thursday morning.
There are still no details on what led to the alleged incident, but the boys, all under the age of 10, told their parents that the two janitors bound and gagged them with caution tape after they entered a bathroom that was closed for repairs. The two men, who work at all schools in Monmouth County, also apparently took a cell phone picture of the boys.
School officials checked surveillance video in the hallway and could only confirm that the employees and the boys were all in the bathroom at the same time.
Superintendent Michael Salvatore said the allegations are being taken very seriously, but that he doesn't feel they're as extreme as they appear.
"I'm not under the impression that children were bound and gagged in a bathroom," he said. "I am under the impression that something happened, it was in jest, and nobody was physically injured or sexual assaulted in any way."
That brings no peace to the angry parents who showed up to the school demanding answers.
"Regardless of sexual intent or not, these are adults putting their physical hands on a child and tying them up," parent Molly Guzman said. "It's ridiculous."
The allegations are under investigation. The employees are suspended without pay.
Get Eyewitness News Delivered
new jersey, long branch, new jersey news
- Yonkers fire injures family of four 54 min ago
- AccuWeather: Still Some Slick Spots! 33 min ago
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- Get WATCH ABC for your mobile device
- Spring Valley police to announce arrest in Baby Angel case 13 min ago
- Residents warned to look out for black ice
- Avonte's mother continues search with new headquarters
- Limited 7 train service on entire line 31 min ago
- Tourist who lost leg in taxi crash sues city
- Man struck and killed by car on LIE
- Flu shots could be mandatory for NYC kids
- WestJet plays Santa to 250 lucky passengers
- Photos: 4 injured in Yonkers fire 54 min ago
- Photos: Viewer snow storm pictures
- AccuWeather: Still Some Slick Spots!
33 min ago