New Jersey News
Janitors accused of tying up, gagging boys
LONG BRANCH (WABC) -- Two maintenance workers at an elementary school in New Jersey are suspended, accused of tying up and gagging four boys inside a bathroom.
The incident reportedly happened at Gregory Elementary School in Long Branch Thursday morning.
There are still no details on what led to the alleged incident, but the boys, all under the age of 10, told their parents that the two janitors bound and gagged them with caution tape after they entered a bathroom that was closed for repairs. The two men, who work at all schools in Monmouth County, also apparently took a cell phone picture of the boys.
School officials checked surveillance video in the hallway and could only confirm that the employees and the boys were all in the bathroom at the same time.
Superintendent Michael Salvatore said the allegations are being taken very seriously, but that he doesn't feel they're as extreme as they appear.
"I'm not under the impression that children were bound and gagged in a bathroom," he said. "I am under the impression that something happened, it was in jest, and nobody was physically injured or sexual assaulted in any way."
That brings no peace to the angry parents who showed up to the school demanding answers.
"Regardless of sexual intent or not, these are adults putting their physical hands on a child and tying them up," parent Molly Guzman said. "It's ridiculous."
The allegations are under investigation. The employees are suspended without pay.
Get Eyewitness News Delivered
new jersey, long branch, new jersey news
- Teen clerk beaten in Astoria deli robbery; $30,000 stolen 47 min ago
- AccuWeather: Clear and Cold
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- DISH Network signs on for WATCH ABC app
- Man claims football players beat him in Soho club
- Fire at Red Carpet Inn in Elmwood Park, New Jersey
- Suspect in Boston rice cooker incident sent to psych hospital
- 6 dead, 290 missing in South Korea ferry disaster
- Rare spring snow coats cars, slicks roads
- Photos: Spring snow around New York area
- Jenny McCarthy announces engagement on "The View"
- Drugs stashed in hiding places in Manhattan apartments 53 min ago
- Surprise field day for kids from burned-down school 30 min ago
- College Board provides a glimpse of new SAT 5 min ago
Eyewitness News Links
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos