New Jersey News
Janitors accused of tying up, gagging boys
LONG BRANCH (WABC) -- Two maintenance workers at an elementary school in New Jersey are suspended, accused of tying up and gagging four boys inside a bathroom.
The incident reportedly happened at Gregory Elementary School in Long Branch Thursday morning.
There are still no details on what led to the alleged incident, but the boys, all under the age of 10, told their parents that the two janitors bound and gagged them with caution tape after they entered a bathroom that was closed for repairs. The two men, who work at all schools in Monmouth County, also apparently took a cell phone picture of the boys.
School officials checked surveillance video in the hallway and could only confirm that the employees and the boys were all in the bathroom at the same time.
Superintendent Michael Salvatore said the allegations are being taken very seriously, but that he doesn't feel they're as extreme as they appear.
"I'm not under the impression that children were bound and gagged in a bathroom," he said. "I am under the impression that something happened, it was in jest, and nobody was physically injured or sexual assaulted in any way."
That brings no peace to the angry parents who showed up to the school demanding answers.
"Regardless of sexual intent or not, these are adults putting their physical hands on a child and tying them up," parent Molly Guzman said. "It's ridiculous."
The allegations are under investigation. The employees are suspended without pay.
Get Eyewitness News Delivered
new jersey, long branch, new jersey news
- Dozens killed in Oklahoma tornado
- Metro North New Haven Line to be back Wednesday 57 min ago
- Ex-priest arrested after working with kids in NJ 6 min ago
- Wake to be held for slain Hofstra student as questions linger 48 min ago
- Suffolk County parents getting free alcohol test kits 20 min ago
- NJ couple arraigned on animal cruelty charges 28 min ago
- Photos: Tornado damage in Oklahoma
- blog: Mirror Ball Blog: Dancing with the Stars
- Photos: Dancing with the Stars Finals
- blog: Desiree Hartsock on being 'The Bachelorette'
- WATCH ABC is available to Channel 7 viewers
- 51 people confirmed dead in Oklahoma tornado
13 min ago
- AccuWeather: Warm and muggy, T-storm possible
33 min ago
Eyewitness News Links
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed VideoMost Viewed Photos