New Jersey News
Brush fires cause traffic problems
NEW JERSEY -- Smoke from several small brush fires burning along the New Jersey Turnpike near Newark Liberty International Airport caused some traffic slowdowns during the Monday evening commute.
Officials say five small brush fires in Elizabeth, near the turnpike's outer roadway, forced officials to close the northbound right lane just north of Interchange 13A to just south of Interchange 14 in Newark. The fires were reported around 4 p.m., and were all extinguished within about 90 minutes.
Turnpike Authority spokesman Tom Feeney says delays in both directions had eased by 6 p.m.
Get Eyewitness News Delivered
new jersey, brush fire, new jersey news
- Brooklyn police shooting leaves suspect wounded 53 min ago
- AccuWeather Forecast: Wintry Mix On The Way 25 min ago
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- Get WATCH ABC for your mobile device
- De Blasio, Bratton join Sharpton at Mandela tribute 48 min ago
- Queens hit and run leaves pedestrian dead
- Man found fatally stabbed in Williamsburg
- Funeral held for NYPD traffic agent hit by truck
- Long Island Rail Road massacre, 20 years later
- South Africans pay tribute to Nelson Mandela
- Photos: Nelson Mandela through the years
- US vet, 85, back home after detained in North Korea
- Pearl Harbor ceremony marks bombing anniversary
- Photos: Pearl Harbor anniversary
- Suspect wounded after Brooklyn police...
52 min ago
- De Blasio, Bratton join Sharpton at Mandela...
49 min ago
- AccuWeather Forecast: Wintry Mix On The Way
25 min ago