New Jersey News
Autopsy: Toddler drowned in septic tank
LAKEWOOD, N.J. (WABC) -- Ocean County Prosecutor Marlene Lynch Ford said the medical examiner concluded that a 2-year-old girl found in a septic tank died as a result of an accidental drowning.
The 2-year-old was reported missing by her mother, Marina Matias, shortly before 5 p.m. Monday, according to the Ocean County Prosecutor's Office, which is investigating.
Matias told police she could not find her child, identified only by the initials J.C., who had been playing in the yard of her East Spruce Street home with her four siblings.
Search teams quickly found a 3-foot-wide hole in the yard that led to a septic tank. The Public Works Department was called in to pump out water in the tank, and at 7:30 p.m., the body of a child was found in it.
The prosecutor is still looking into the circumstances and whether any criminal action contributed to her death.
Many are wondering why the top of the tank was left open.
"It's hard to say, because it's a vacant house," said Michael Stewart, of the Department of Public Works. "Nobody lives there."
Police, medics and public works employees found it overwhelming.
"It was like it was uncovered, a square, about a foot and a half to two foot," Stewart said. "It was uncovered, and it was full of straight human sewage."
Michel A. Paulhus, a spokesman for the prosecutor's office, said there was no reason to believe that there was a major delay in the mother calling police once she realized her daughter was missing.
Get Eyewitness News Delivered
new jersey, child death, lakewood, body found, new jersey news, anthony johnson
- Dead body found in plastic container in Brooklyn 20 min ago
- AccuWeather: A Little Cooler
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- DISH Network signs on for WATCH ABC app
- Bergen County officer injured in Lodi crash 21 min ago
- 2 killed in wreck on Southern State identified 44 min ago
- No hearts stolen on date, only NJ woman's dog, TV 55 min ago
- Photos: Lodi crash injures police officer
- Woman fatally shot in Queens; man in custody
- 4 charged in Elizabeth auto body shop robbery
- Scooter rider fatally shot in South Ozone Park
- Man retrieving item from tracks hit by subway train
- Sparta crash injures woman and 8-year old son
- NYPD policy revised; officers should take stairs in fire
- Bergen County officer injured in Lodi crash
21 min ago