New Jersey News
Baby left at bus stop near hospital in Newark
NEWARK (WABC) -- Police in Newark are trying to find the person who left a baby at a bus stop.
The baby, described as a white or Hispanic girl, was abandoned across the street from University Hospital, within a few hundred feet of the emergency room. Authorities say Safe Haven laws allow a person to drop a baby off at a hospital, police station or church. But since the baby was left outside, the mother or person who dropped the child is likely to face child endangerment charges.
The baby was discovered just before dawn, and hospital police took her into the ER.
"What is it that she's going through, to make a mother want to do something like that?" Newark resident Mark Whitney said. "You understand, it's sad all the way across the board. Definitely for the baby first. But you would definitely like to know what's going on with the mother, what's going on in her life, to make something like this happen."
The case is now in the hands of the Essex County Prosecutor's Office. No arrests have been made.
Get Eyewitness News Delivered
new jersey, newark, abandoned baby, new jersey news
- Oil slicks spotted in hunt for missing Malaysian jet 32 min ago
- AccuWeather: Milder, maybe a shower
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- Get WATCH ABC for your mobile device
- LI man accused of killing uncle, burying him in backyard
- Man in coma after Long Island City hit and run
- Photo released of Queens bank robbery suspect
- Hicksville car crash kills 81-year old woman
- Newtown to DC bike ride to push for gun control
- Mom accused of driving into surf with kids goes to court
- Mega Millions jackpot at $309 million after no winner
- Spring forward: Time to set the clocks ahead
- Sheila MacRae of 'The Honeymooners' dies at 92 56 min ago
- Photos: Famous deaths in 2014
- Oil slicks spotted in hunt for missing...
32 min ago
Eyewitness News Links
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos