New Jersey News
Church statue vandalized in Palisades Park
PALISADES PARK (WABC) -- Police in New Jersey are searching for the vandals who beheaded a statue outside a Roman Catholic Church.
It is the latest in a string of religious vandalism in Bergen County.
Parishioners at the St. Nicholas Church on East Brinkerhoff Avenue in Palisades Park were shocked when they arrived at church Sunday morning to find the statue of their patron saint headless.
Authorities believe the statue was vandalized sometime Saturday night, but they have no idea why someone would want to damage the statue that has stood in front of the church since 2008.
Church-goers say this is especially upsetting since it happened during the holy season of Lent. They are also concerned that this incident follows a string of attacks at other religious institutions, including vandalism at synagogues in Hackensack and Maywood, as well as the firebombing of a synagogue in Rutherford.
Police do not believe the incidents are necessarily related, but residents say it just adds to the feelings of hate and intolerance in the community.
Get Eyewitness News Delivered
new jersey, palisades park, vandalism, new jersey news
- Shot Brooklyn teen speaks out; Man in custody
- AccuWeather: Clear and chilly
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- DISH Network signs on for WATCH ABC app
- Woman tries to grab stroller from nanny in Chelsea
- 12 dead, 3 missing in Mount Everest avalanche
- Video released in murder of Brooklyn bodega clerk 40 min ago
- Demolition to begin at Edison school gutted by fire 30 min ago
- Suspect arrested in Kansas City highway shootings
- Woman charged Thursday with neglect after living in a van with...
- Hundreds still missing in South Korea ferry disaster
- Photos: South Korea ferry disaster
- Police identify suspect in Bronx subway exposure 54 min ago
- Astronomers spot most Earth-like planet yet
Eyewitness News Links
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos