New Jersey News
Tick season already jumping and biting
FRANKLIN LAKES, N.J. (WABC) -- The great weather outside has kids, dogs, basically everyone, out and jumping including ticks.
"In 25 years of doing this, I have never seen it this bad," said Donald Foster, Harvest Lawn Care.
Donald Foster, who sprays backyards for ticks, says the mild winter has meant ticks were not as dormant, and warm weather now means they are active.
"As soon as you brush up on something it grabs onto your pants, clothes, you don't even realize they're on you," Foster said.
Look at how small these things are!
Deer ticks can be as small as a poppy seed until they're filled with blood.
"People are freaking out, what's with the ticks? Why are they here already," said Dr. Jill Shiffman, a veterinarian at Franklin Lakes Animal Hospital.
Dr. Jill Shiffman even found a tick on herself already after a hike.
She warns to check your animals too.
"Ticks like around the head and between the toes," Dr. Shiffman said.
She recommends oily lotions you can put on the dogs shoulders that protect the dog for about $14 a month.
For your backyard, spray it, and yourself, and be on the lookout!
"We check them every night, especially when they've been playing by the stream, ball fields, by the woods," said Charlene Wingfield, the mother of four children.
Get Eyewitness News Delivered
new jersey, animals, new jersey news, michelle charlesworth
- Measles cases confirmed in Manhattan, Bronx 4 min ago
- AccuWeather: Milder, maybe a shower
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- Get WATCH ABC for your mobile device
- Victim in possible NYC 'knockout game' attack speaks out
- Wallington firefighter killed in blaze to be laid to rest 20 min ago
- Demolition underway after NJ fire; Questions linger
- Photos: Jersey City row home fire
- Sketch released of suspect in Queens attempted luring
- Baby critical after DWI firefighter hits pregnant woman
- Man stiffs livery cab driver, punches him in the face
- Obama's warnings brushed aside by Russia's Vladimir Putin
- Lehigh Valley Dairy recalls orange juice over milk concerns
- Photos: $3.25M summer home in Ocean City, NJ
- Wallington firefighter killed in blaze to...
20 min ago
Eyewitness News Links
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos