New Jersey News
Tick season already jumping and biting
FRANKLIN LAKES, N.J. (WABC) -- The great weather outside has kids, dogs, basically everyone, out and jumping including ticks.
"In 25 years of doing this, I have never seen it this bad," said Donald Foster, Harvest Lawn Care.
Donald Foster, who sprays backyards for ticks, says the mild winter has meant ticks were not as dormant, and warm weather now means they are active.
"As soon as you brush up on something it grabs onto your pants, clothes, you don't even realize they're on you," Foster said.
Look at how small these things are!
Deer ticks can be as small as a poppy seed until they're filled with blood.
"People are freaking out, what's with the ticks? Why are they here already," said Dr. Jill Shiffman, a veterinarian at Franklin Lakes Animal Hospital.
Dr. Jill Shiffman even found a tick on herself already after a hike.
She warns to check your animals too.
"Ticks like around the head and between the toes," Dr. Shiffman said.
She recommends oily lotions you can put on the dogs shoulders that protect the dog for about $14 a month.
For your backyard, spray it, and yourself, and be on the lookout!
"We check them every night, especially when they've been playing by the stream, ball fields, by the woods," said Charlene Wingfield, the mother of four children.
Get Eyewitness News Delivered
new jersey, animals, new jersey news, michelle charlesworth
- 4 injured, including child in Bronx fire 27 min ago
- AccuWeather: Warmer days ahead 15 min ago
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- iWitness Photos and Videos
- City Council passes plastic foam, e-cigarette bills
- Over 75 injured in London theatre roof collapse
- Bus accident on Route 3 in Clifton
- Photos: Injuries reported in Clifton, NJ bus accident
- Tax trouble for taxi tycoon?
- Human error contributed in delay of Ariel Russo 911 response
- Target: 40 million accounts may be involved in breach
- Consumer Reports: Nasty Chicken
- Target data breach: 7 Things to know
- Jersey City main breaks; boil water advisory in effect
- AccuWeather: Warmer days ahead
15 min ago
Eyewitness News Links
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos