New Jersey News
Ravi speaks out about webcam spying trial
NEW JERSEY (WABC) -- After a jury found him guilty of bias and spying on his roommate last week, former Rutgers student Dahrun Ravi is now speaking out publicly for the first time.
While out on bail and awaiting sentencing at his parents' house in Plainsboro, New Jersey, Ravi told The Star Ledger in an exclusive interview he admits to being insensitive and immature, but not biased against his roommate, Tyler Clementi. Clementi committed suicide after learning Ravi had used a webcam to spy on him in an encounter with a man.
Ravi says the last two and a half years have been difficult.
"I'm not the same person I was two years ago," Ravi said, "I don't even recognize the person I was two years ago."
Ravi says he should have thought more about Clementi's feelings&but insists he had no bias.
"I didn't act out of hate and I wasn't uncomfortable with Tyler being gay," Ravi said.
Ravi could have taken a plea deal that would have kept him out jail.
"I'm never going to regret not taking the plea," Ravi said, "If I took the plea, I would have had to testify that I did what I did to intimidate Tyler and that would be a lie. I won't ever get up there and tell the world I hated Tyler because he was gay, or tell the world I was trying to hurt or intimidate him because it's not true."
Ravi says the verdict actually made him feel energized. He says he and his family, friends, and attorney will keep going.
Ravi is facing the possibility of 10 years in jail.
Sentencing is scheduled for May 21st.
You can read the Star Ledger's article and interview here: http://blog.nj.com/njv_mark_diionno/2012/03/exclusive_interview_dharun_rav.html
Get Eyewitness News Delivered
new jersey, rutgers university, new jersey news
- Far Rockaway fire leaves 2 children dead
- AccuWeather: A Little Cooler
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- DISH Network signs on for WATCH ABC app
- Photos: Deadly fire in Far Rockaway
- Flight makes emergency landing with cracked windshield 56 min ago
- Hate crime charge in attack on Columbia Univ. professor
- Suspect questioned after body found in container
- Search underway for missing Queens boy, 11
- Death toll in South Korea ferry tragedy reaches 58
- Woman fatally shot in Queens; man in custody
- Former boxer Rubin "Hurricane" Carter dies at 76
- Photos: Famous deaths in 2014
- Up Close with Diana Williams