New Jersey News
Dharun Ravi discusses Tyler Clementi's suicide
NEW JERSEY (WABC) -- Former Rutgers student Dharun Ravi, convicted last week of a hate crime for spying on his gay roommate's date, regrets his "dumb kid" actions, but told ABC News that he takes comfort in the belief that his webcam peeking is not the reason Tyler Clementi jumped to his death.
Ravi, 20, of Plainsboro, N.J., spoke about the case just days after a New Jersey jury convicted him of invasion of privacy, bias intimidation, witness tampering and hindering arrest for using a webcam to peek at Clementi's date in their college dorm room on Sept. 19, 2010 and encouraging others to spy during a second date, on Sept. 21, 2010.
Ravi was not charged in connection with Clementi's death.
"Even though I wasn't the one who caused him to jump off the bridge, I did do things wrong and I was stupid about a lot of stuff," Ravi said in an exclusive broadcast interview with 20/20 co-anchor Chris Cuomo.
Get Eyewitness News Delivered
new jersey, rutgers university, tyler clementi, dharun ravi, new jersey news
- Bergen County officer injured in Lodi crash 59 min ago
- AccuWeather: Clear and chilly
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- DISH Network signs on for WATCH ABC app
- Photos: Lodi crash injures police officer
- Scooter rider fatally shot in South Ozone Park
- Missing autistic boy found in Brooklyn
- NYPD policy revised; officers should take stairs in fire
- Suspect charged in shooting of Brooklyn teen
- New York-bound bus in wreck in Maryland
- Suspect in custody in attempted baby abduction
- Photos: Images of Sea Isle City fire
- South Korea ferry captain arrested; death toll at 32
- Weekend subway changes affecting 11 lines
- Bergen County officer injured in Lodi crash
59 min ago