New Jersey News
Dharun Ravi discusses Tyler Clementi's suicide
NEW JERSEY (WABC) -- Former Rutgers student Dharun Ravi, convicted last week of a hate crime for spying on his gay roommate's date, regrets his "dumb kid" actions, but told ABC News that he takes comfort in the belief that his webcam peeking is not the reason Tyler Clementi jumped to his death.
Ravi, 20, of Plainsboro, N.J., spoke about the case just days after a New Jersey jury convicted him of invasion of privacy, bias intimidation, witness tampering and hindering arrest for using a webcam to peek at Clementi's date in their college dorm room on Sept. 19, 2010 and encouraging others to spy during a second date, on Sept. 21, 2010.
Ravi was not charged in connection with Clementi's death.
"Even though I wasn't the one who caused him to jump off the bridge, I did do things wrong and I was stupid about a lot of stuff," Ravi said in an exclusive broadcast interview with 20/20 co-anchor Chris Cuomo.
Get Eyewitness News Delivered
new jersey, rutgers university, tyler clementi, dharun ravi, new jersey news
- Nelson Mandela dies at 95
- AccuWeather Forecast: Unseasonably Warm Air
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- Get WATCH ABC for your mobile device
- Photos: Nelson Mandela through the years
- Mandela's influence felt in New York City
- VIDEO: Obama remembers Mandela
- L train signal problems in Brooklyn
- Bill Bratton named next Police Commissioner
- Photos: Bill Bratton, next NYPD Police Commissioner
- Police search for suspect in Brooklyn shooting
- Search for suspects in subway attack on two women
- Derailment victim, James Ferrari, laid to rest
- Knicks crush Nets 113-83
Eyewitness News Links
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos