New Jersey News
Burglary spree hits Leonia homes, businesses
LEONIA, N.J. (WABC) -- There is a strong warning for business owners and residents who live in New Jersey after a string of burglaries; they say to leave your lights on.
Police say the culprit smashed a rear sliding glass door in once case and in another cut into a basement window screen.
The thieves also targeted five businesses in downtown Leonia.
For 35 years, Guilete Beauty has been on Broad Street in Leonia.
The neighborhood has changed a bit over the years, but not deteriorated.
Crime is low, or was until this weekend.
When Frank got to his store on Sunday morning, the window was shattered and his cash register was on the lawn outside.
The restaurant next door had been broken into also, but nothing was stolen there but a roll of quarters.
It comes on the heels of a rash of burglaries this past weekend in the town.
There were three burglaries of homes within an hour or so on Friday night, by a guy who is doing everything he can to avoid people but steal their stuff.
The one house he picked where someone was home, as soon as he realized his mistake and immediately exited according to police.
With at least eight burglaries in fewer than 36 hours, police are trying to catch the burglar, but say they could use some help.
Get Eyewitness News Delivered
new jersey, burglary, new jersey news, jim dolan
- Police shoot and kill man with special needs
- AccuWeather Forecast: Mild, but rain expected
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- Get WATCH ABC for your mobile device
- Newtown 911 calls released
- Keri Russell's Brooklyn home burglarized
- Attorney: Train engineer was 'in a daze'
- Metro-North service back 100-percent on Hudson Line
- abcnews: Truck Carrying Radioactive Material Stolen...
- Police arrest 2 in Long Island menorah vandalism
- Man dies paragliding after hitting ice
- Parents plead for help to save boys from rare disease
- Paul Walker died from impact, fire in crash, autopsy finds
- Photos: Most Fascinating People of 2013