New Jersey News
Marine from New Jersey killed in Afghanistan
NORTH CAROLINA -- A New Jersey Marine based in North Carolina has died in combat in Afghanistan nearly two weeks before he was due to come home.
The Defense Department says Staff Sgt. Joseph D'Augustine died in the Helmand province.
The 29-year-old from Waldwick, N.J., was assigned to an explosive ordnance disposal unit from the 8th Engineer Support Battalion of the 2nd Marine Logistics Group, part of the Second Marine Expeditionary Force at Camp Lejeune, N.C.
A sister, Michele Kulesa of Mahwah, tells The Record newspaper her brother was due to come home in 15 days to attend the May wedding of another sister.
D'Augustine graduated from Waldwick High School in 2001. He wrestled and played football in high school.
Get Eyewitness News Delivered
new jersey, soldier killed, new jersey news
- Suspect charged in shooting of Brooklyn teen 3 min ago
- AccuWeather: Clear and chilly 26 min ago
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- DISH Network signs on for WATCH ABC app
- Employees tied up, Car parts stolen in Elizabeth 58 min ago
- Suspect identified in attempted baby abduction 28 min ago
- Ferry captain arrested in South Korea after deadly accident 30 min ago
- Party shooting leaves Kean U. student injured
- Photos: Images of Sea Isle City fire 43 min ago
- Search for suspects in Riverhead robbery and assault
- Robbery suspect in custody after Astoria manhunt
- 12 dead, 3 missing in Mount Everest avalanche 32 min ago
- Yonkers family outraged after dog mauled by pit bull
- Photos: South Korea ferry disaster
- Suspect charged in shooting of Brooklyn teen
3 min ago
- Suspect identified in attempted baby...
28 min ago
- AccuWeather: Clear and chilly
26 min ago
- 12 dead, 3 missing in Mount Everest avalanche
32 min ago