New Jersey News
Barstool Blackout Tour crowd takes over street
MONTCLAIR, N.J. (WABC) -- A large crowd of young people attending The Barstool Blackout Tour in Montclair, New Jersey apparently got out of control Thursday night.
Eyewitness News cameras were there when police moved in and party-goers were told to move out.
2,500 teens and young adults, some not wearing very much, were all there for the Barstool Blackout Tour, a dance party that moves from town to town.
The tours own Facebook page describes the show as "The World's Largest Blacklight Party. Touring the nation leaving nothing but a path of destruction in its wake. Lazers, Fog, Blacklights, Stroked and Everything that Glows right in your eyeball. An absolute orgy of sound and lights for all your senses."
Police say that's a pretty accurate description.
Officers say one girl was bitten, another was trampled, and there were fights everywhere.
"Kids are difficult by nature, and then you add alcohol," said Deputy Police Chief Todd Conforti, Montclair Police Department.
Deputy Chief Conforti says his officers were met by hundreds of drunk and possibly drugged ticket holders, and many of them were angry they couldn't get in.
"There were just kids throwing up all over the place. You couldn't move," said Nick Sinoppli, a witness.
Nick Sinoplli and Darin Keepers were in the middle of it all and don't blame the police for breaking it up.
"I don't blame them. When you have people on line not even in the place yet getting trampled, you can't have that," Keepers said.
24 people were taken to the hospital, some drunk, others injured.
A dozen police departments were called for back-up.
Early Friday, a crew from the Barstool Blackout Tour came to get a trailer and some equipment.
There are crushed energy drinks, glow sticks, vodka bottles, and even a pot pipe, still littering the street in front of the Wellmont.
That's all that's left of a night many now want to forget.
The Barstool Blackout Tour moved on to Roseland Ballroom Friday night. There was a heavy police presence in the area.
For more information please visit: http://www.barstoolu.com/
Get Eyewitness News Delivered
new jersey, montclair, new jersey news, phil lipof
- Yonkers family jumps from window to escape fire 3 min ago
- AccuWeather: Still Some Slick Spots!
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- Get WATCH ABC for your mobile device
- Photos: 4 injured in Yonkers fire
- Pope Francis chosen Time's Person of the Year 56 min ago
- Photos: Time's Person of the Year: The unchosen
- Spring Valley police to announce arrest in Baby Angel case
- Black ice warnings as bitter cold sets in 21 min ago
- Local 7 line service resumes after signal problems
- Tourist who lost leg in taxi crash sues city
- Infant brought to NYC hospital by parents pronounced dead
- Suspect sought for stealing puppy from LI pet store
- World leaders bow, pray at Nelson Mandela's casket
- Black ice warnings as bitter cold sets in
21 min ago