New Jersey News
Marine from New Jersey laid to rest
HO-HO-KUS, N.J. -- Hundreds of people gathered at a northern New Jersey church for the funeral of a Marine from Bergen County who was killed in combat operations in Afghanistan.
Wednesday's service for Staff Sgt. Joseph D'Augustine of Waldwick was held at St. Luke's Church in Ho-Ho-Kus.
The 29-year-old died March 27 in the Helmand province, nearly two weeks before he was due to come home for his sister's wedding. D'Augustine graduated from Waldwick High School in 2001, where he wrestled and played football.
D'Augustine was assigned to an explosive ordnance disposal unit.
The funeral came one day after hundreds of residents in lined the streets of his home town as police escorted the hearse carrying his body.
Get Eyewitness News Delivered
new jersey, soldier killed, new jersey news
- Bodega worker fatally shot in Brooklyn 33 min ago
- AccuWeather: Clear and chilly
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- DISH Network signs on for WATCH ABC app
- Person of interest ID'd in Flatbush teen's shooting
- Hundreds still missing in South Korea ferry disaster
- Photos: South Korea ferry disaster
- New York political leader Basil Paterson dies at 87
- Photos: Famous deaths in 2014
- Reservoir to be flushed because of urinating teen
- Sketch released in Upper East Side jewelry robbery
- NYC mayor announces Sandy recovery reforms 1 min ago
- Pair robs 4 Brooklyn banks in 2-hour span
- Queens serial robber caught on surveillance camera
- NYC mayor announces Sandy recovery reforms
1 min ago