New Jersey News
Marine from New Jersey laid to rest
HO-HO-KUS, N.J. -- Hundreds of people gathered at a northern New Jersey church for the funeral of a Marine from Bergen County who was killed in combat operations in Afghanistan.
Wednesday's service for Staff Sgt. Joseph D'Augustine of Waldwick was held at St. Luke's Church in Ho-Ho-Kus.
The 29-year-old died March 27 in the Helmand province, nearly two weeks before he was due to come home for his sister's wedding. D'Augustine graduated from Waldwick High School in 2001, where he wrestled and played football.
D'Augustine was assigned to an explosive ordnance disposal unit.
The funeral came one day after hundreds of residents in lined the streets of his home town as police escorted the hearse carrying his body.
Get Eyewitness News Delivered
new jersey, soldier killed, new jersey news
- 2-year-old boy survives 3-story window fall
- AccuWeather: Windy & Cooler 31 min ago
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- DISH Network signs on for WATCH ABC app
- 3 suspects arrested, cop shot at NJ shopping center
- Photos: Garfield police shooting scene in photos
- Video shows burglar cashing in lotto tickets in Queens
- Long Island school bus driver accused of selling heroin 29 min ago
- New clue in search for Brooklyn carjacking suspect
- Attempted luring incident reported in West Nyack
- Suspect in Myls Dobson murder due in court
- New York City pre-K signups end on Wednesday
- Hoax sends SWAT teams rushing to Long Beach house
- 13-year-old shooting victim released from hospital
- AccuWeather: Windy & Cooler
31 min ago
Eyewitness News Links
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos