New Jersey News
Marine from New Jersey laid to rest
HO-HO-KUS, N.J. -- Hundreds of people gathered at a northern New Jersey church for the funeral of a Marine from Bergen County who was killed in combat operations in Afghanistan.
Wednesday's service for Staff Sgt. Joseph D'Augustine of Waldwick was held at St. Luke's Church in Ho-Ho-Kus.
The 29-year-old died March 27 in the Helmand province, nearly two weeks before he was due to come home for his sister's wedding. D'Augustine graduated from Waldwick High School in 2001, where he wrestled and played football.
D'Augustine was assigned to an explosive ordnance disposal unit.
The funeral came one day after hundreds of residents in lined the streets of his home town as police escorted the hearse carrying his body.
Get Eyewitness News Delivered
new jersey, soldier killed, new jersey news
- East Harlem debris cleared in search for cause
- Photos: Accuweather maps for possible Monday snow
- AccuWeather: Cold Sunday
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- East Harlem Explosion: How to Help
- East Harlem community tries to move forward after explosion
- Photos: East Harlem explosion
- Comedian David Brenner, 'Tonight' favorite, dies
- Photos: Famous deaths in 2014
- Malaysian leader: Plane's system deliberately disabled
- Out of control bus hits cars in Brooklyn; 5 hurt
- Widow of Short Hills mall carjacking victim files suit
- Firefighters respond to brush fire near JFK
- LI hospital flooded with phone calls after insulin scare