New Jersey News
Marine from New Jersey laid to rest
HO-HO-KUS, N.J. -- Hundreds of people gathered at a northern New Jersey church for the funeral of a Marine from Bergen County who was killed in combat operations in Afghanistan.
Wednesday's service for Staff Sgt. Joseph D'Augustine of Waldwick was held at St. Luke's Church in Ho-Ho-Kus.
The 29-year-old died March 27 in the Helmand province, nearly two weeks before he was due to come home for his sister's wedding. D'Augustine graduated from Waldwick High School in 2001, where he wrestled and played football.
D'Augustine was assigned to an explosive ordnance disposal unit.
The funeral came one day after hundreds of residents in lined the streets of his home town as police escorted the hearse carrying his body.
Get Eyewitness News Delivered
new jersey, soldier killed, new jersey news
- Bus accident on Route 3 in Clifton 53 min ago
- AccuWeather: Warmer days ahead
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- iWitness Photos and Videos 21 min ago
- London theatre roof collapse s; Casualties reported 2 min ago
- Target: 40 million accounts may be involved in breach
- Consumer Reports: Nasty Chicken
- 10 hurt when NJ Transit bus, cab collide in Newark
- Human error contributed in delay of Ariel Russo 911 response
- Photos: Injuries reported in Clifton, NJ bus accident 52 min ago
- Rangel announces run for 23rd term
- Jersey City main breaks; boil water advisory in effect
- Screw Magazine publisher Al Goldstein dies at 77
- Georgia winner of Mega Millions jackpot comes forward
Eyewitness News Links
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos