New Jersey News
Robber targeting women at bus stops
EAST ORANGE, N.J. (WABC) -- There's a warning about an armed robber targeting women at bus stops in New Jersey.
At least three women have been attacked at knife point.
All the victims were waiting at bus stops in East Orange.
"I catch the bus during the day, don't at night," said
It's been during evening hours, that three women have been approached, two of them simply waiting for a bus. One was entering her apartment building.
"One woman sitting at the stop, he came, put his arms around her, told her not to say anything, another walked into the building, asking for some money," said Chief William Robinson, East Orange Police Department.
One attack happened February 27th, the other two happened in March.
They all happened within a small radius of blocks in the busy shopping area of East Orange, from Martin Luther King Boulevard up to Williams Street, at a bus stop near the train station, and North Munn up to Prospect.
Police believe one man is responsible.
"An African American male, 18 to 29, thin build, black or brown jacket," Chief Robinson said.
East Orange businessman Ibrihim Hamed didn't know three women had been targeted.
He'd heard about one and is surprised it is happening in an area that's seen business growth, and crime decline, according to police statistics.
"This area is safe. Before you can say, but now, there are cops all over," Hamed said.
But he has several female employees who take the bus, and he, as police are doing, will be warning women to take precautions.
Get Eyewitness News Delivered
new jersey, east orange, robbery, bus, new jersey news, toni yates
- Boy, 2, found with heroin at Paterson day care center
- AccuWeather: Stormy changes on the way
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- Get WATCH ABC for your mobile device
- Teen girl shot in leg in Coney Island 34 min ago
- Firefighters battling Bronx car fire find body inside 13 min ago
- NJ woman charged in butt injection death 24 min ago
- Ex-Christie aides want traffic jam subpoenas withdrawn
- Missing Malaysia plane changed course, military says 41 min ago
- Obama's surprise turn on 'Between Two Ferns'
- Burger King baby seeks birth mom
- Call released after Oregon couple calls 911 on pet cat
- Photos: 'The Bachelor' Season 18 finale in pictures
- Photos: Countdown: The 25 highest-paid musicians
Eyewitness News Links
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos