New Jersey News
Police return to scene of fatal hit and run
NORTH BERGEN, N.J. (WABC) -- Two weeks to the day after a deadly hit and run in New Jersey, police, family and friends of the victim return to the scene.
They're hoping to come up with clues and new information on the same night at the same time, exactly two weeks later.
Detectives say they know he's out there, and they are determined to find him.
The North Bergen Police released surveillance video hoping that someone can help identify the driver of a blue Toyota Camry who sped away from the scene and never looked back.
"We absolutely know it's a Toyota Camry, we believe based on the debris left at the scene that it is between a 2001 and a 2004 dark in color. We are currently waiting for the video to be enhanced and sent to New Jersey State Police technologies division as well as the Hudson County Prosecutor's Office. Whatever gets back to us first we're going to run with it," said Dep. Chief Robert Dowd, North Bergen Police Department.
Omar Monroig was 42-years-old and had just left his own birthday party.
He was struck at high-speed and with such force that his body was thrown 110-feet across Tonnelle Avenue.
It happened on Friday, March 23rd at 11:40 p.m. at Tonnelle Avenue at 52nd Street.
The victim's family is offering a $5,000 reward.
"It could have been an accident but the person never stopped, and for Omar, for an incredible person to be snuffed out like that, we want closure," said George Monroig, the victim's brother.
Get Eyewitness News Delivered
new jersey, north bergen, hit and run accident, new jersey news, n.j. burkett
- 2-year-old boy survives 3-story window fall
- AccuWeather: Windy and cooler
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- DISH Network signs on for WATCH ABC app
- 3 suspects arrested, cop shot at NJ shopping center 17 min ago
- Photos: Garfield police shooting scene in photos 16 min ago
- Video shows burglar cashing in lotto tickets in Queens
- Long Island school bus driver accused of selling heroin 7 min ago
- New clue in search for Brooklyn carjacking suspect
- Attempted luring incident reported in West Nyack
- Suspect in Myls Dobson murder due in court
- New York City pre-K signups end on Wednesday 5 min ago
- Hoax sends SWAT teams rushing to Long Beach house
- 13-year-old shooting victim released from hospital
- 3 suspects arrested, cop shot at NJ...
17 min ago
Eyewitness News Links
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos