New Jersey News
Police return to scene of fatal hit and run
NORTH BERGEN, N.J. (WABC) -- Two weeks to the day after a deadly hit and run in New Jersey, police, family and friends of the victim return to the scene.
They're hoping to come up with clues and new information on the same night at the same time, exactly two weeks later.
Detectives say they know he's out there, and they are determined to find him.
The North Bergen Police released surveillance video hoping that someone can help identify the driver of a blue Toyota Camry who sped away from the scene and never looked back.
"We absolutely know it's a Toyota Camry, we believe based on the debris left at the scene that it is between a 2001 and a 2004 dark in color. We are currently waiting for the video to be enhanced and sent to New Jersey State Police technologies division as well as the Hudson County Prosecutor's Office. Whatever gets back to us first we're going to run with it," said Dep. Chief Robert Dowd, North Bergen Police Department.
Omar Monroig was 42-years-old and had just left his own birthday party.
He was struck at high-speed and with such force that his body was thrown 110-feet across Tonnelle Avenue.
It happened on Friday, March 23rd at 11:40 p.m. at Tonnelle Avenue at 52nd Street.
The victim's family is offering a $5,000 reward.
"It could have been an accident but the person never stopped, and for Omar, for an incredible person to be snuffed out like that, we want closure," said George Monroig, the victim's brother.
Get Eyewitness News Delivered
new jersey, north bergen, hit and run accident, new jersey news, n.j. burkett
- 4 arrested in deadly NJ mall carjacking 26 min ago
- AccuWeather: Warmer stretch arrives
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- iWitness Photos and Videos
- Elderly pedestrian hit by two cars in Harlem
- Third grader killed in accident, truck driver charged
- Car dealer charged after selling Sandy-damaged vehicles
- NJ Transit train disabled inside Hudson River tunnel
- Man stabbed on 2 train in Bronx
- GWB repair work this weekend
- Pan Am 103 bombing anniversary marked by memorials 13 min ago
- Target data breach: 7 Things to know
- NASA astronauts begin urgent spacewalking repairs
- Photos: Fatal shooting at the Short Hills Mall
- 4 arrested in deadly NJ mall carjacking
26 min ago