New Jersey News
Cissy Houston sings Easter tribute to daughter Whitney
NEWARK, N.J. (WABC) -- At the Baptist church where Whitney Houston sang as a child, a special Easter Sunday celebration.
Just weeks after her funeral was held there, her mother Cissy returned, with her deep faith and a big voice.
"We've been through a lot, but we have so much to be grateful for at the same time," said Pastor Joe Carter.
Carter was talking about the loss of Whitney Houston.
As a young girl, she sang at the church, especially on Easter Sunday.
One of her favorite songs: "He Would Not Come Down."
On this Easter, a Houston voice would fill the pews once again, a familiar voice here: Cissy Houston.
Miinister of music at New Hope for more than 50 years, Cissy was invited back, just a few weeks after her daughter's funeral was held there.
She directed the choir and sang only one song solo: "He Would Not Come Down."
A chorus of voices backed her up, an entire congregation to give her love and support, while she sang the same words Whitney used to sing there.
For Cissy Houston, it was a tough week.
The final coroner's report on Whitney's death was gruesome... details no mother would want to hear.
"I'm not myself yet," Houston told the congregation. "But I know the Lord is working on me."
"She's my hero," said Pastor Carter. "To see her rise from the ashes of pain and to be a shining light and a beacon is what faith in God can do."
Get Eyewitness News Delivered
new jersey, whitney houston, new jersey news, phil lipof
- Dead body found in plastic container in Brooklyn 23 min ago
- AccuWeather: A Little Cooler
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- DISH Network signs on for WATCH ABC app
- Bergen County officer injured in Lodi crash 2 min ago
- 2 killed in wreck on Southern State identified 47 min ago
- No hearts stolen on date, only NJ woman's dog, TV 58 min ago
- Photos: Lodi crash injures police officer
- Woman fatally shot in Queens; man in custody 3 min ago
- 4 charged in Elizabeth auto body shop robbery
- Scooter rider fatally shot in South Ozone Park
- Man retrieving item from tracks hit by subway train
- Sparta crash injures woman and 8-year old son
- NYPD policy revised; officers should take stairs in fire
- Bergen County officer injured in Lodi crash
2 min ago