New Jersey News
Cissy Houston sings Easter tribute to daughter Whitney
NEWARK, N.J. (WABC) -- At the Baptist church where Whitney Houston sang as a child, a special Easter Sunday celebration.
Just weeks after her funeral was held there, her mother Cissy returned, with her deep faith and a big voice.
"We've been through a lot, but we have so much to be grateful for at the same time," said Pastor Joe Carter.
Carter was talking about the loss of Whitney Houston.
As a young girl, she sang at the church, especially on Easter Sunday.
One of her favorite songs: "He Would Not Come Down."
On this Easter, a Houston voice would fill the pews once again, a familiar voice here: Cissy Houston.
Miinister of music at New Hope for more than 50 years, Cissy was invited back, just a few weeks after her daughter's funeral was held there.
She directed the choir and sang only one song solo: "He Would Not Come Down."
A chorus of voices backed her up, an entire congregation to give her love and support, while she sang the same words Whitney used to sing there.
For Cissy Houston, it was a tough week.
The final coroner's report on Whitney's death was gruesome... details no mother would want to hear.
"I'm not myself yet," Houston told the congregation. "But I know the Lord is working on me."
"She's my hero," said Pastor Carter. "To see her rise from the ashes of pain and to be a shining light and a beacon is what faith in God can do."
Get Eyewitness News Delivered
new jersey, whitney houston, new jersey news, phil lipof
- Tornado Warning in parts of Sullivan County 18 min ago
- Police captain's home hit with firebomb?
- AccuWeather: Warm And Humid
- Eyewitness News Live
- Hats get women ejected from mall 8 min ago
- Anthony Weiner launches bid to become NYC mayor
- Survivors search nearly done after Oklahoma tornado
- FBI shoots man possibly linked to Boston bomb suspects,...
- Arrest made in East Village bias attack
- Funeral to be held Wednesday for slain Hofstra student
- AAA: 31.2M drivers to take Memorial Day road trip
- Garcia apologizes for "fried chicken" remark about Tiger
- Kellie Pickler wins Dancing With The Stars
- Photos: Tornado damage in Oklahoma
Eyewitness News Links
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed VideoMost Viewed Photos