New Jersey News
Firefighters put out Meadowlands brush fire
EAST RUTHERFORD (WABC) -- A major brush fire is now out along the New Jersey Turnpike near the Meadowlands.
The fire is out now, but it raged for more than seven hours, and burned up close to 100 acres of Meadowlands.
Veterans say it was one of the biggest and most stubborn fires they've seen.
Thick black smoke and raging flames engulfed almost 100 acres of dry grass in the Meadowlands Wednesday.
Firefighters from 20 North Jersey towns joined forces to battle the stubborn blaze near Paterson Plank Road in Carlstadt.
Newscopter 7 was above the scene as officials closed parts of the southbound western spur of the New Jersey Turnpike, as heavy smoke slowed traffic for miles.
"It's a large area, it's one of the biggest ones we've ever had," said Assistant Chief Jarrett Milligan, Carlstadt Fire Department.
The blaze started just after 1 p.m.
As its fiery path moved closer to an industrial complex in Carlstadt, firefighters began lighting controlled fires, or back burns to destroy any vegetation that could fuel the fire.
The back burns near the offices were closely monitored and indeed, there was no property damage reported.
"We can't go out in the marsh and fight it so we have to fight it from the land," Milligan said.
More than 100 firefighters battled the blaze and had it under control within about seven hours.
Dozens of people came to watch the dramatic scene unfold, less than a mile from MetLife Stadium and the Izod Center.
"This was one of the worst ones I've ever seen," said James Burd, a spectator.
Investigators believe the dry brush, coupled with warmer weather, may have sparked the fire and they do not believe it was suspicious.
Follow these guidelines to reduce the risk of fires:
For more information on wildfires and fire safety, visit NJWildfire.org
Get Eyewitness News Delivered
brush fire, new jersey, fire, east rutherford, new jersey news, jen maxfield
- Nekisia Davis' mom, Cheryl, stole a 1993 Honda Accord - and she didn't even mean to. 8 min ago
- AccuWeather: Clear and Cold 4 min ago
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- DISH Network signs on for WATCH ABC app
- Man claims football players beat him in Soho club
- Burlington County woman charged with trying to kill her 3...
- Firefighters rescue 80-year-old man from Bronx fire Wednesday...
- Fire at Red Carpet Inn in Elmwood Park, New Jersey 23 min ago
- Suspect in Boston rice cooker incident sent to psych hospital
- 7 dead, 290 missing in South Korea ferry disaster 20 min ago
- Rare spring snow coats cars, slicks roads
- Photos: Spring snow around New York area
- Jenny McCarthy announces engagement on "The View"
- Drugs stashed in hiding places in Manhattan apartments
- AccuWeather: Clear and Cold
4 min ago
Eyewitness News Links
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos