New Jersey News
Donations collected for victims of Jersey City fire
NEW JERSEY (WABC) -- There is an outpouring of generosity for dozens of residents in New Jersey who lost their homes and possessions in a devastating fire on Easter.
The fire tore through a row of homes in Jersey City on Sunday, forcing 75 residents out on the street.
Since the fire, many people have donated clothing, cash and other items, and city officials say it's been a tremendous help.
Mayor Jerramiah T. Healy announced that his office is coordinating the relief effort for the families who were victims of the devastating fire.
The Mayor's Office has placed collection boxes at city buildings and one private, residential building for residents to donate non-perishable food items, new and gently used clothing, toys, books, school supplies and other items. A sixth collection box is being set up by the Soccer Learning Center to specifically collect items for the children.
"This is one of the worst fires our city has seen in recent years and we know there will be an out- pouring from the community to support these families," said Mayor Healy. "Our hearts go out to those affected by this tragic fire and we want them to know that their city is here to help and assist them in any way possible."
Get Eyewitness News Delivered
new jersey, new jersey news
- Missing 11-year-old Brooklyn boy possibly found
- AccuWeather: March roller coaster
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- Get WATCH ABC for your mobile device
- Newtown shooter's father speaks out for 1st time
- Metro-North worker fatally struck by train in NYC
- 4-year closure of Tarrytown Tappan Zee ramp begins
- Search continues for missing plane; 2 flew on stolen passports 30 min ago
- Photos: Malaysia Airlines missing plane
- UWS street to be renamed after 4-year-old Ariel Russo
- NY-native bank robbery suspect nabbed after selfies
- UCONN sophomore accuses sorority sisters of hazing
- CT hockey referee arrested after removing child from ice
- Photos: 10 suspects caught in the act
- Search continues for missing plane; 2 flew...
30 min ago