New Jersey News
New Jersey nabs 27 suspects in child porn bust
HAMILTON -- Authorities have arrested 27 men and one woman as part of a sweeping three-month child pornography investigation in 20 New Jersey towns.
State Attorney General Jeffrey Chiesa announced the results of Operation Watchdog Tuesday. All are charged with distribution and possession of child pornography.
Authorities say 53-year-old Bernard Cahill of Folsom also is accused of taking photos while sexually assaulting a juvenile. He's charged with sexually assault and manufacturing child pornography.
Authorities say one suspect, 23-year-old Cesar Salgado-Maya of Audubon, lived in a residence connected to a day-care facility.
State Police say 66-year-old William Brooks of Pennsauken was downloading images when detectives executed a search warrant.
Detectives say they traced digital fingerprints from the images as they passed through cyberspace.
"Through aggressive, technology-driven investigations such as Operation Watchdog, we must banish the misguided notion that online viewing and sharing of child pornography is a victimless crime," Chiesa said in a statement. "The vulnerable children who are tortured and degraded to create these vile materials are re-victimized every time another person views the images. Moreover, these offenders generate the demand that motivates suppliers to produce these odious images."
Three subjects, whose names are not being released at this time, are still being sought.
Get Eyewitness News Delivered
new jersey, new jersey news
- 4 arrested in deadly NJ mall carjacking
- AccuWeather: Warmer stretch arrives
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- iWitness Photos and Videos
- Elderly pedestrian hit by two cars in Harlem
- LI burglary foiled by man watching on webcam in China
- GWB repair work will close upper level lanes
- Long Island driver charged with DWI in hit and run
- Target offers discount, free credit monitoring after data breach
- Pan Am 103 bombing anniversary marked by memorials
- Photos: Pan Am 103 bombing
- NASA astronauts make spacewalk for urgent repairs
- Knicks lose to Grizzlies, 95-87
- Photos: Fatal shooting at the Short Hills Mall