New Jersey News
5-alarm fire burns through 3 homes in Elizabeth
ELIZABETH, N.J. (WABC) -- Residents in Elizabeth, New Jersey, are surveying the damage after a five-alarm inferno destroyed several townhouses.
At least one firefighter was injured, and at least 24 members of nine families, including at least six children, are now homeless.
Firefighters have been on the scene at 597 Monroe Avenue all night long and are expected to remain at the scene throughout the day.
The fire started around 8:30 p.m. in the rear of one of the townhouses and quickly spread to a second.
Officials say it moved so fast that firefighters at first they couldn't tell which house it started in. Soon, smoke filled the neighborhood, held down by atmospheric conditions that produced a smothering blanket that settled over the area.
Area residents who came outside wondering what was going on were forced to cover their mouths and noses with their clothing.
Two people suffered smoke inhalation. One firefighter was treated for a shoulder injury.
About a dozen of nearby homes were evacuated as a precaution. Those residents were allowed to return around 1 a.m.
The blaze destroyed three townhouses before firefighters brought it under control.
Officials believe the fire started when a dog knocked over a candle.
The Red Cross is helping relocate displaced residents and crews early Wednesday demolished what was left of the structures.
Toiletries and clothing donations for the families (including children and seniors) can be delivered daily from 10 am - 2 pm to the 2nd Macedonia Church at 1251 Fairmount Avenue.
Financial donations can be made to: "January Elizabeth Fire Fund"
c/o Charlene Mason-Reese
Director Health & Human Services
Elizabeth City Hall
50 Winfield Scott Plaza
Elizabeth, NJ 07201
Get Eyewitness News Delivered
new jersey, elizabeth, fire, new jersey news
- 4 dead, 280 missing in South Korea ferry disaster 55 min ago
- AccuWeather: Sharply Colder 24 min ago
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- DISH Network signs on for WATCH ABC app
- Bronx sweep nets suspected gang members
- Rare spring snow coats cars, slicks roads
- Photos: Spring snow around New York area
- Jenny McCarthy announces engagement on "The View"
- Sketch released of suspect in East Village sex assault 55 min ago
- Boston police destroy 2 backpacks at marathon site
- Teen clerk beaten in Astoria deli robbery; $30,000 stolen
- Camera catches Bronx home invaders using victim's card
- College Board provides a glimpse of new SAT
- Photos: Adorable meerkats befriend photographer
- Sketch released of suspect in East Village...
55 min ago
- AccuWeather: Sharply Colder
24 min ago
Eyewitness News Links
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos