New Jersey News
Young girls targeted online by fake Justin Bieber
NEWARK (WABC) -- A man allegedly used Facebook and fame to target young girls around the world. One of his alleged victims was a 12-year-old girl in New Jersey.
Police say 34-year-old Lee Moir met the girl online by pretending he was singing sensation Justin Bieber.
Stephanie Malvon says that's exactly why she watches her 13-year-old daughter Kayla's every move online.
"I think it's crazy. Parents should be more concerned and take time out to watch over their kids more," Malvon said.
Essex County prosecutors say Moir used fake profiles including "justy.beber1" on Facebook and Oovoo. The Toronto man allegedly forced his victim to perform sex acts on her webcam by threatening to hurt her family. When the New Jersey girl stopped chatting with him, he allegedly threatened to post the videos on a pornographic website.
Jill Starishevsk prosecutes child abuse and sex crimes in New York City. She also wrote "My Body Belongs to Me" in order to help parents talk to their kids.
"Children think they're talking to who the person says they are. They're very trusting," Starishevsky said.
Moir was eventually caught when he met an undercover officer posing as a 14-year-old girl online. Starishevsky says that this is the perfect opportunity for parents to speak up.
"Children are very afraid to tell, so parents need to reinforce that message that it's not their fault that. It's ok to tell even if the person says to keep it a secret. They need to have that conversation before something happens in order to prevent it," Starishvesky added.
Get Eyewitness News Delivered
new jersey, newark, essex county, justin bieber, new jersey news, carolina leid
- Rare spring snow coats cars, slicks roads 24 min ago
- AccuWeather: Sharply Colder 42 min ago
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- DISH Network signs on for WATCH ABC app
- Sketch released of suspect in East Village sex assault 10 min ago
- Boston police destroy 2 backpacks at marathon site 4 min ago
- Photos: Boston Marathon: One year later
- Driver arrested after teens get drunk, trash party bus
- Photos: Teenagers trash party bus
- Photos released of man wanted for harassing teen Muslim girl
- NYPD to end Muslim surveillance program
- MLB marks 67th anniversary of Jackie Robinson debut
- Miley Cyrus skips concert, is hospitalized
- Baby found in Victoria's Secret bag died of asphyxia
- AccuWeather: Sharply Colder
42 min ago
Eyewitness News Links
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos