New Jersey News
Young girls targeted online by fake Justin Bieber
NEWARK (WABC) -- A man allegedly used Facebook and fame to target young girls around the world. One of his alleged victims was a 12-year-old girl in New Jersey.
Police say 34-year-old Lee Moir met the girl online by pretending he was singing sensation Justin Bieber.
Stephanie Malvon says that's exactly why she watches her 13-year-old daughter Kayla's every move online.
"I think it's crazy. Parents should be more concerned and take time out to watch over their kids more," Malvon said.
Essex County prosecutors say Moir used fake profiles including "justy.beber1" on Facebook and Oovoo. The Toronto man allegedly forced his victim to perform sex acts on her webcam by threatening to hurt her family. When the New Jersey girl stopped chatting with him, he allegedly threatened to post the videos on a pornographic website.
Jill Starishevsk prosecutes child abuse and sex crimes in New York City. She also wrote "My Body Belongs to Me" in order to help parents talk to their kids.
"Children think they're talking to who the person says they are. They're very trusting," Starishevsky said.
Moir was eventually caught when he met an undercover officer posing as a 14-year-old girl online. Starishevsky says that this is the perfect opportunity for parents to speak up.
"Children are very afraid to tell, so parents need to reinforce that message that it's not their fault that. It's ok to tell even if the person says to keep it a secret. They need to have that conversation before something happens in order to prevent it," Starishvesky added.
Get Eyewitness News Delivered
new jersey, newark, essex county, justin bieber, new jersey news, carolina leid
- Young boy shot in foot in the Bronx 32 min ago
- AccuWeather: Warmer days ahead
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- iWitness Photos and Videos
- Murder-suicide shooting at NJ nail salon 48 min ago
- Water line floods three Midtown building basements 48 min ago
- Jersey City water main break isolated; Water back on
- LI tanker crash sends fireball into the sky 39 min ago
- Photos: Tanker explodes on Sunrise Highway
- 1 of 2 winners in $636 Mega Millions jackpot comes forward
- LI man arraigned in 7 'knockout game' assaults 39 min ago
- Photos: Massive car pileup on Gowanus Expressway
- Victim in Short Hills Mall shooting laid to rest
- Blind man and dog rescued will stay together
- Young boy shot in foot in the Bronx
32 min ago
- Water line floods three Midtown building...
48 min ago
- LI tanker crash sends fireball into the sky
39 min ago
Eyewitness News Links
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos