New Jersey News
Alleged serial rapist targeting couples arrested
ELIZABETH, N.J. (WABC) -- Police say they've arrested a serial rapist who was targeting couples who were checking into local motels.
"We haven't seen a serial rapist like this in 20 years," said Albert Cernardas, First Assistant Prosecutor.
First Assistant Prosecutor Albert Cernardas doesn't use the term serial rapist lightly.
He is talking about 36-year-old Rasheed Powell.
He's now charged with 10 counts of aggravated sexual assault or rape among other crimes.
Six times in the last six weeks, investigators say Powell stalked couples going into motels.
He struck two in Elizabeth and two others in Linden.
He would force his way into the room after them at gunpoint.
"He would then tell the man to have sex with the woman. After that he would force the guy into the bathroom and then he would have sex with the woman," Cernardas said.
Sometimes he would make the man have sex with the woman again.
It's a pattern so unique, it would be his undoing.
After the attacks last weekend, Powell was arrested Monday.
"He was doing this on a weekly basis. Someone was going to get hurt. He had a gun. Someone was going to die. It was imperative we got him off the streets," Cernardas said.
Get Eyewitness News Delivered
new jersey, elizabeth, linden, rape, sexual assault, new jersey news, phil lipof
- NYPD officer charged with DWI after shooting partner 8 min ago
- AccuWeather: Windy and cool
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- DISH Network signs on for WATCH ABC app
- Forest fire burning in NJ; Evacuations ordered 22 min ago
- Yanks pitcher Michael Pineda suspended 10 games 51 min ago
- 9-year-old dies in 26-story fall from Bronx high-rise
- Carlstadt fire guts post office; 2 firefighters hurt
- Photos: Carlstadt post office fire
- 14.5 pound baby born in Boston
- Woman charged in fatal hit and run in Hempstead
- FDA proposes first regulations for e-cigarettes 9 min ago
- Tavern on the Green reopens in Central Park Thursday
- Photos: Sneak peek inside the new Tavern on the Green
- FDA proposes first regulations for...
9 min ago
Eyewitness News Links
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos