New Jersey News
NJ gov says he didn't nod off at Springsteen show
TRENTON, N.J. (WABC) -- New Jersey Gov. Chris Christie insists he was listening - not sleeping - during a recent Bruce Springsteen concert in New York City.
Christie says a fan snapped a photo of him with head back and eyes closed during the show at Madison Square Garden one day after returning from the Middle East.
The governor says The New York Post incorrectly concluded that he had dozed off.
Christie told reporters Thursday that actually he simply leaned back and shut his eyes to listen to the spiritual-sounding song "Rocky Ground" when the picture was taken.
"People sat. So I sat up on the seat," said Christie.
"And I put my head back and closed my eyes and listened to the song. When I was fist-pumping during 'Badlands,' nobody... You know I'm glad nobody took pictures of that."
The governor is a mega-fan who has attended 127 Springsteen concerts, though he and Springsteen seldom agree politically.
Christie says he buys his tickets from band members Steven Van Zandt or Max Weinberg at face value.
Get Eyewitness News Delivered
new jersey, bruce springsteen, chris christie, new jersey news
- Police shoot and kill man with special needs
- AccuWeather Forecast: Mild, but rain expected
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- Get WATCH ABC for your mobile device
- Newtown 911 calls released
- Keri Russell's Brooklyn home burglarized
- Attorney: Train engineer was 'in a daze'
- Metro-North service back 100-percent on Hudson Line
- abcnews: Truck Carrying Radioactive Material Stolen...
- Police arrest 2 in Long Island menorah vandalism
- Man dies paragliding after hitting ice
- Parents plead for help to save boys from rare disease
- Paul Walker died from impact, fire in crash, autopsy finds
- Photos: Most Fascinating People of 2013