New Jersey News
NJ gov says he didn't nod off at Springsteen show
TRENTON, N.J. (WABC) -- New Jersey Gov. Chris Christie insists he was listening - not sleeping - during a recent Bruce Springsteen concert in New York City.
Christie says a fan snapped a photo of him with head back and eyes closed during the show at Madison Square Garden one day after returning from the Middle East.
The governor says The New York Post incorrectly concluded that he had dozed off.
Christie told reporters Thursday that actually he simply leaned back and shut his eyes to listen to the spiritual-sounding song "Rocky Ground" when the picture was taken.
"People sat. So I sat up on the seat," said Christie.
"And I put my head back and closed my eyes and listened to the song. When I was fist-pumping during 'Badlands,' nobody... You know I'm glad nobody took pictures of that."
The governor is a mega-fan who has attended 127 Springsteen concerts, though he and Springsteen seldom agree politically.
Christie says he buys his tickets from band members Steven Van Zandt or Max Weinberg at face value.
Get Eyewitness News Delivered
new jersey, bruce springsteen, chris christie, new jersey news
- Forest fire burning in NJ; Evacuations ordered 24 min ago
- AccuWeather: Windy and cool
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- DISH Network signs on for WATCH ABC app
- 9-year-old dies in 26-story fall from Bronx high-rise
- Carlstadt fire guts post office; 2 firefighters hurt
- Photos: Carlstadt post office fire
- Heroin antidote Narcan saves 6 in Ocean County
- Woman charged in fatal hit and run in Hempstead
- Baby monitors batteries recalled over burn hazard
- Camilla Parker Bowles' brother Mark Shand dies in NYC
- FDA proposes first regulations for e-cigarettes
- Tavern on the Green reopens in Central Park Thursday
- Photos: Sneak peek inside the new Tavern on the Green
Eyewitness News Links
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos