New Jersey News
NJ gov says he didn't nod off at Springsteen show
TRENTON, N.J. (WABC) -- New Jersey Gov. Chris Christie insists he was listening - not sleeping - during a recent Bruce Springsteen concert in New York City.
Christie says a fan snapped a photo of him with head back and eyes closed during the show at Madison Square Garden one day after returning from the Middle East.
The governor says The New York Post incorrectly concluded that he had dozed off.
Christie told reporters Thursday that actually he simply leaned back and shut his eyes to listen to the spiritual-sounding song "Rocky Ground" when the picture was taken.
"People sat. So I sat up on the seat," said Christie.
"And I put my head back and closed my eyes and listened to the song. When I was fist-pumping during 'Badlands,' nobody... You know I'm glad nobody took pictures of that."
The governor is a mega-fan who has attended 127 Springsteen concerts, though he and Springsteen seldom agree politically.
Christie says he buys his tickets from band members Steven Van Zandt or Max Weinberg at face value.
Get Eyewitness News Delivered
new jersey, bruce springsteen, chris christie, new jersey news
- raw video: New video just after East Harlem Explosion 12 min ago
- AccuWeather: Cold, but milder
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- Get WATCH ABC for your mobile device
- Rescuers continue scouring rubble in East Harlem 6 min ago
- East Harlem explosion: More on the victims
- Photos: East Harlem explosion
- Teen shot, apparently by brother, in Queens
- Long Island cab driver accused of exposing himself to girl
- Westchester animal shelter in danger of collapsing 8 min ago
- Woman steals Dorothy's ruby slippers from SI hotel
- Jersey City fire victims to be laid to rest Friday
- Photos: Pictures from PHL after landing gear collapse
- Vandals dressed up like rock stars go on rampage