New Jersey News
Report: 2 troopers gave caravan high-speed escort
TRENTON, N.J. -- New Jersey authorities are probing reports that two state police troopers recently escorted a caravan of high-speed luxury sports cars that were traveling down the Garden State Parkway at speeds of more than 100 mph.
New Jersey authorities are probing reports that two state police troopers recently escorted a caravan of high-speed luxury sports cars that were traveling down the Garden State Parkway at speeds of more than 100 mph.
The Star-Ledger of Newark (http://bit.ly/I2ptDj), citing public complaints it obtained and interviews it conducted, reports that the high-speed escort occurred March 30 in the highway's southbound lanes.
Witnesses told the newspaper that the state police patrol cars - with emergency lights flashing - were driving in front of and behind the caravan. They saw dozens of cars overall, including Porsches, Lamborghinis, Ferraris, and all the vehicles' license plates were reportedly covered with tape.
The witnesses said many drivers struggled to get out of the caravan's way, including one who almost ended up in a ditch.
Michael Drewniak, a spokesman for Gov. Chris Christie, told the newspaper that authorities will take swift action once the investigation is complete.
"This is a very serious and disturbing matter for a couple of reasons, but particularly in terms of the disregard for public safety by all those allegedly involved," Drewniak said Sunday.
Citing a source with knowledge of the trip, the newspaper said New York Giants running back Brandon Jacobs was among those traveling in the caravan.
When asked to confirm the report, Jacobs' agent, Justin Schulman, told the newspaper: "Brandon was part of a group that went down to Atlantic City on March 30." Schulman otherwise declined to comment on the purpose of the trip or who else was involved.
Get Eyewitness News Delivered
new jersey, new jersey news
- Yonkers fire injures family of four 15 min ago
- AccuWeather: Still Some Slick Spots!
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- Get WATCH ABC for your mobile device
- Residents warned to look out for black ice
- Avonte's mother continues search with new headquarters
- Limited 7 train service on entire line
- Tourist who lost leg in taxi crash sues city
- Man struck and killed by car on LIE
- Flu shots could be mandatory for NYC kids
- Photos: Nelson Mandela Memorial Service
- Photos: Viewer snow storm pictures
- WestJet plays Santa to 250 lucky passengers
- Photos: Technology Gift Guide