New Jersey News
Black bear spotted near school in New Jersey
BERKELEY HEIGHTS, N.J. (WABC) -- A black bear spotted roaming near the Thomas P. Hughes School elementary school in Berkeley Heights, New Jersey caused some concern on Wednesday.
The Board of Education Honeywell Alert system notified all parents about the bear, but it never posed an immediate threat. The bear moved away from the school before student dismissal.
Police said the bear eventually disappeared into a wooded area near Watchung Way around 4:30 p.m.
Township residents are encouraged to contact the Berkeley Heights Police Department, at 908-464-1111, whenever a bear is observed along a roadway or in a residential area.
Most black bears, it should be noted, will continue on their way if left unbothered, officials said. In the highly unusual event that a bear shows aggressive tendencies and poses an immediate danger to persons or domesticated animals, then police officers are authorized to dispose of it.
For more information about bears, please visit the New Jersey Division of Fish and Wildlife's website, www.nj.gov/dep/fgw/bearinfo.htm , which offers many methods and suggestions on the topics of living within black bear areas, and how to react when encountering a bear.
Get Eyewitness News Delivered
new jersey, berkeley heights, bear, new jersey news
- Boy, 2, found with heroin at Paterson day care center 45 min ago
- AccuWeather: Stormy changes on the way
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- Get WATCH ABC for your mobile device
- Pharmacists accused in HIV medication scam 48 min ago
- Teen girl shot in leg in Coney Island
- Firefighters battling Bronx car fire find body inside
- NJ woman charged in butt injection death
- Ex-Christie aides want traffic jam subpoenas withdrawn 49 min ago
- Missing Malaysia plane changed course, military says
- Obama, in NYC for fundraising trip, shops at Gap 7 min ago
- Call released after Oregon couple calls 911 on pet cat
- Photos: 'The Bachelor' Season 18 finale in pictures
- Photos: Countdown: The 25 highest-paid musicians
- Boy, 2, found with heroin at Paterson day...
45 min ago
- Pharmacists accused in HIV medication scam
48 min ago
- Man who took video explains high school fued
40 min ago
Eyewitness News Links
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos