New Jersey News
Traffic stop nets suspects with $783K hidden in car
FORT LEE -- Two men from New York face charges after a New Jersey state trooper found more than $783,000 in their vehicle during a traffic stop.
State police say the driver and passenger, Franklin Delacruz and Jose Carnillo, both 45, both from the Bronx, were travelling on I-95 recently when the SUV caught Trooper Steve Spitaleri's attention.
"Swerving in and out of lane, meaning changing lanes without using a signal, cutting back and forth between the left and center lane," said Spitaleri.
Trooper Eric Tapia came on the scene to translate, and found the mens' stories didn't add up.
"Where they were coming from, where they were going," said Tapia. "Also, issues with their relationship."
A K-9 unit picked up a scent of drugs, and the Ford Expedition was trucked to the State Police barracks.
In the back was a box.
It took police 25 minutes to crack it open, and it contained a cache of cash.
Delacruz and Carnillo have been charged with money laundering and conspiracy.
They're each held in the Bergen County Jail on $500,000 bail.
The money and the truck were confiscated.
Once the case goes to court, if it's found that the money is ill gotten gains, it will go into state and county accounts to fight crime.
Get Eyewitness News Delivered
new jersey, fort lee, arrest, new jersey news, toni yates
- Teen shot, apparently by brother, in Queens 25 min ago
- AccuWeather: Cold, but milder
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- Get WATCH ABC for your mobile device
- Rescuers continue scouring rubble in East Harlem
- East Harlem explosion: More on the victims
- Photos: East Harlem explosion
- Long Island cab driver accused of exposing himself to girl
- Westchester animal shelter in danger of collapsing 9 min ago
- Woman steals Dorothy's ruby slippers from SI hotel
- Jersey City fire victims to be laid to rest Friday
- Photos: Pictures from PHL after landing gear collapse
- Vandals dressed up like rock stars go on rampage
- $353 million up for grabs in Mega Millions drawing Friday