New Jersey News
NJ officer dies from motorcycle crash injuries
JERSEY CITY, N.J. (WABC) -- Authorities say a veteran police officer has died from injuries suffered in a motorcycle accident on the New Jersey Turnpike.
Claude Racine was off-duty and wearing a helmet when the crash occurred late Wednesday on the turnpike's eastern spur in Jersey City.
But the 44-year-old Paramus resident suffered a serious head injury and later died at a hospital.
A female passenger was also thrown from the motorcycle and seriously injured.
But her injuries are not considered life-threatening.
Authorities say Racine was eastbound on his 2006 Harley-Davidson when the accident occurred.
But it's still not clear what caused the crash.
Racine had served for more than 10 years with the Somerville Police Department.
Colleagues there said he was known for his humor, charity work and generosity.
Get Eyewitness News Delivered
new jersey, officer killed, police officer dies, police officer killed, paramus, new jersey news
- Suspect in custody in attempted baby abduction 21 min ago
- AccuWeather: Clear and chilly
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- DISH Network signs on for WATCH ABC app
- New York-bound bus in wreck in Maryland
- Employees tied up, Car parts stolen in Elizabeth
- Suspect charged in shooting of Brooklyn teen
- Ferry captain arrested in South Korea after deadly accident
- Party shooting leaves Kean U. student injured
- Sea Isle fire destroys 3 beachfront homes
- Photos: Images of Sea Isle City fire
- Search for suspects in Riverhead robbery and assault 46 min ago
- 12 dead, 3 missing in Mount Everest avalanche
- Yonkers family outraged after dog mauled by pit bull
- Suspect in custody in attempted baby...
21 min ago