New Jersey News
NJ officer dies from motorcycle crash injuries
JERSEY CITY, N.J. (WABC) -- Authorities say a veteran police officer has died from injuries suffered in a motorcycle accident on the New Jersey Turnpike.
Claude Racine was off-duty and wearing a helmet when the crash occurred late Wednesday on the turnpike's eastern spur in Jersey City.
But the 44-year-old Paramus resident suffered a serious head injury and later died at a hospital.
A female passenger was also thrown from the motorcycle and seriously injured.
But her injuries are not considered life-threatening.
Authorities say Racine was eastbound on his 2006 Harley-Davidson when the accident occurred.
But it's still not clear what caused the crash.
Racine had served for more than 10 years with the Somerville Police Department.
Colleagues there said he was known for his humor, charity work and generosity.
Get Eyewitness News Delivered
new jersey, officer killed, police officer dies, police officer killed, paramus, new jersey news
- Vietnam spots oil slicks in hunt for missing jet
- AccuWeather: Milder, maybe a shower
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- Get WATCH ABC for your mobile device
- Man in coma after Long Island City hit and run
- Missing man found buried in nephew's backyard
- Photo released of Queens bank robbery suspect
- Newtown to DC bike ride to push for gun control
- Florida family falls ill after eating meat with LSD
- Exclusive: Mistaken identity arrest
- Mega Millions jackpot at $309 million after no winner
- Spring forward: Time to set the clocks ahead
- Sheila MacRae of 'Honeymooners' fame dies at 92 36 min ago
- Photos: Famous deaths in 2014 23 min ago