New Jersey News
NJ officer dies from motorcycle crash injuries
JERSEY CITY, N.J. (WABC) -- Authorities say a veteran police officer has died from injuries suffered in a motorcycle accident on the New Jersey Turnpike.
Claude Racine was off-duty and wearing a helmet when the crash occurred late Wednesday on the turnpike's eastern spur in Jersey City.
But the 44-year-old Paramus resident suffered a serious head injury and later died at a hospital.
A female passenger was also thrown from the motorcycle and seriously injured.
But her injuries are not considered life-threatening.
Authorities say Racine was eastbound on his 2006 Harley-Davidson when the accident occurred.
But it's still not clear what caused the crash.
Racine had served for more than 10 years with the Somerville Police Department.
Colleagues there said he was known for his humor, charity work and generosity.
Get Eyewitness News Delivered
new jersey, officer killed, police officer dies, police officer killed, paramus, new jersey news
- Nelson Mandela dies at 95 1 min ago
- AccuWeather Forecast: Unseasonably Warm Air
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- Get WATCH ABC for your mobile device
- Bill Bratton named next Police Commissioner
- Who is Bill Bratton?
- Photos: Bill Bratton, next NYPD Police Commissioner
- Derailment victim, James Ferrari, laid to rest
- Carteret freight train derailment: Turnpike reopens
- Photos: Hazmat crews respond to Carteret freight...
- Alleged assault of Seton Hall student may be captured on video
- Family demands answers in deadly police shooting
- Nigella Lawson again denies heavy drug use
- Graduation day for new class of FDNY firefighters
Eyewitness News Links
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos