New Jersey News
NJ officer dies from motorcycle crash injuries
JERSEY CITY, N.J. (WABC) -- Authorities say a veteran police officer has died from injuries suffered in a motorcycle accident on the New Jersey Turnpike.
Claude Racine was off-duty and wearing a helmet when the crash occurred late Wednesday on the turnpike's eastern spur in Jersey City.
But the 44-year-old Paramus resident suffered a serious head injury and later died at a hospital.
A female passenger was also thrown from the motorcycle and seriously injured.
But her injuries are not considered life-threatening.
Authorities say Racine was eastbound on his 2006 Harley-Davidson when the accident occurred.
But it's still not clear what caused the crash.
Racine had served for more than 10 years with the Somerville Police Department.
Colleagues there said he was known for his humor, charity work and generosity.
Get Eyewitness News Delivered
new jersey, officer killed, police officer dies, police officer killed, paramus, new jersey news
- Winter Weather Advisory 17 min ago
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- Get WATCH ABC for your mobile device
- iWitness Photos and Videos
- Nelson Mandela memorial set for Tuesday in Soweto
- 'Snow Alert' issued for New York City 34 min ago
- Wintry mix causes slick roads, massive pileup
- New Jersey preparing for another dose of snow
- LIRR preparing for snow, ice
- Photos: AccuWeather Forecast in pictures
- Man shot to death in Valley Stream 22 min ago
- Homeless shelter charity and giving tips
- Photos: Bronx River Parkway crash
- Photos: Technology Gift Guide
- 'Snow Alert' issued for New York City
34 min ago
- Winter Weather Advisory
17 min ago