New Jersey News
Rock climber, 22, killed in fall
GARDINER, NY (WABC) -- A 22-year-old rock climber from New Jersey had died from injuries sustained in fall in New York.
The accident happened at the Mohonk Preserve in Gardiner, New York around 1:30 on Sunday afternoon.
Officials say Stephanie Prezant, age 22, of Haworth N.J., was part of a group climbing on the Trapps Cliff section of the Preserve.
Prezant had successfully ascended the climb and was returning to the cliff base when she fell, striking her head on the rocks below.
Prezant was treated at the scene and transported to St. Francis Hospital in Poughkeepsie, where she died of injuries sustained in the fall.
The preserve is in Gardiner, 70 miles north of New York City.
State police Capt. Joseph Tripodo says Monday that Prezant wasn't wearing a helmet. He says the group was using harnesses and ropes. The investigation into how Prezant fell is continuing.
Get Eyewitness News Delivered
new jersey, new york state, accident, new jersey news
- LIRR suspended between Huntington, Hicksville 34 min ago
- 1 dead in Midtown fire; Fire truck crash injures 2 38 min ago
- AccuWeather: Gorgeous day, then weather whiplash
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- Photos: Weather whiplash
- Ex-Christie aides want traffic jam subpoenas withdrawn 58 min ago
- School bus collides with taxi in Brooklyn; 9 hurt 21 min ago
- Photos: Brooklyn school bus accident
- Man with stolen passport on jet was asylum seeker 31 min ago
- Photos: Malaysia Airlines missing plane
- NYC home invasion robbery suspects caught on camera 4 min ago
- Sketch released of suspect in Hoboken sex assault
- Nassau County employees protest wage freeze
- Photos: 'The Bachelor' Season 18 finale in pictures 54 min ago
- School bus collides with taxi in Brooklyn;...
21 min ago