New Jersey News
New Jersey police shoot suspect following chase
BRICK TOWNSHIP (WABC) -- An investigation is under way in New Jersey after a state trooper shot a man early Wednesday morning in Ocean County.
The shooting came after a long cross-state police chase that ended in Brick Township.
Investigators say the pursuit began when a trooper attempted to stop 30-year-old Michael Zaun for a motor vehicle violation in West Trenton around 12:30 a.m.
Zaun allegedly fled along Interstate 195 and the Garden State Parkway, eventually ending up on the front lawn of a home.
That's where the trooper shot him as he tried to run to the front door of the home.
Zaun was rushed to Jersey Shore University Medical Center with non-life threatening injuries.
No troopers were injured in the incident.
Troopers reported that Zaun fired a gun during the vehicle pursuit. Zaun's vehicle has not yet been searched. It was impounded and taken to Hamilton Station as evidence, pending an application for a search warrant.
Detectives learned that Zaun's vehicle was involved in a police pursuit in Bucks County, Pennsylvania, earlier in the evening, but the driver was not apprehended during that incident.
The Attorney General's Shooting Response Team is investigating the incident.
No charges have yet been filed.
The names of the troopers involved are not yet being released. Typically, troopers involved in shooting incidents are temporarily placed on administrative leave.
Get Eyewitness News Delivered
new jersey, brick, police shooting, new jersey news
- Newtown 911 calls released 8 min ago
- AccuWeather Forecast: Mild Week
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- Get WATCH ABC for your mobile device
- Attorney: Train engineer was 'in a daze'
- Mayor-elect de Blasio names deputy mayor
- Moriches boat crash injures 3 fishermen
- Search for missing teenager in Linden, New Jersey
- Woman's body discovered in Rochelle Park
- Wake for one of high school sweethearts killed in crash
- 5-year old girl from East Harlem missing
- Prospect Park Zoo welcomes two new Zebus
- Paul Walker died from impact, fire in crash, autopsy finds
- Photos: Most Fascinating People of 2013
Eyewitness News Links
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos