New Jersey News
Suspect nabbed for stealing items off of accident victim
JERSEY CITY (WABC) -- As if being in a car accident wasn't bad enough, a local man became a victim again when he was laying on the ground after the accident, someone walked up and stole his wallet and phone.
It was an off-duty corrections officer who saved the day.
Hudson County corrections officer Michael Chess puts it this way. He says some people choose their careers, but he likes to think this career chose him.
The incident took place on Bayview Avenue in Jersey City on Wednesday.
"In 17 years I've seen some bizarre things but this is one of the craziest things," he said.
It started when two cars collided, a maroon car flipped over and a 35-year-old man from Queens was trapped inside. Officer Chess and a couple of other people raced over to help him.
"The driver of the vehicle that was flipped, kept asking me for all his personal items, his phone and wallet, but I heard the crowd saying, he has it! He has it," he adds.
He meaning 24-year-old Kendrick Floyd. Floyd allegedly doing the unthinkable, stealing the crash victim's belongings from him in the car right after the accident.
Officer Chess recognized Floyd from time he had done in the jail system. He caught up to him and recovered some of the items.
Authorities say Kendrick Floyd has already done time in jail for theft, but also, for resisting arrest and drug charges.
Get Eyewitness News Delivered
new jersey, jersey city, new jersey news, stacey sager
- AccuWeather: More snow Saturday
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- Get WATCH ABC for your mobile device
- iWitness Photos and Videos
- Baruch College student dies in apparent frat ritual
- Fire burns through house in New Brunswick 21 min ago
- Woman twerking serves as lookout for alleged burglar
- Golden Globes nominations announced
- Newtown school shooting vigils planned for Thursday
- Mandela interpreter says he was hallucinating
- George Bush writes letter to Alabama kicker after big loss
- Software engineer teaches homeless man how to code
- Photos: New Brunswick, New Jersey house fire
- Photos: A look at Gracie Mansion
Eyewitness News Links
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos