New Jersey News
Stray bullet kills New Brunswick man in his home
NEW BRUNSWICK, N.J. (WABC) -- Authorities in New Brunswick are investigating the death of a man who was killed in his own home, by a stray bullet.
The freak fatal shooting happened inside a gated community in broad daylight.
The bullet passed through the second story window of a townhouse on Birch Court Friday afternoon.
40 year old Richard Chang, a contractor who lived with his wife, was struck and killed.
After hearing the shots, neighbors flooded 9-1-1 with calls reporting gunfire in the vicinity of the victim's townhouse.
Police immediately cordoned off the area, questioned neighbors and continue to search for a suspect, but no arrests have been made.
A preliminary investigation has determined that Chang was not the intended victim.
No one else was injured.
Chang has security cameras mounted on his home, but it's not clear if they captured what happened or who was involved.
Pearl Oduro lives with her two-year-daughter on the quiet, residential street where the shooting happened.
She's one of several residents who complained to us about the broken security gates at the entrance of her complex.
Residents tell us neighborhood gangs frequently cut through the property and sometimes hang out on the corner.
"This neighborhood is supposed to be gated, but this gate is always up for the past over two years," said Oduro.
"I feel like the management could have prevented this."
We were unable to reach the management company for comment.
Get Eyewitness News Delivered
new jersey, new brunswick, shooting, new jersey news
- Third grader killed in accident, truck driver charged
- AccuWeather: Warmer stretch arrives
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- iWitness Photos and Videos
- Car dealer charged after selling Sandy-damaged vehicles
- NJ Transit train disabled inside Hudson River tunnel
- Surveillance released in shooting of 9-year-old boy
- Man stabbed on 2 train in Bronx
- Prosecutors likely to reduce charges in SUV assault
- Video: Two US astronauts set to spacewalk to fix ISS
- GWB repair work this weekend
- Father in Army reunites with son in kindergarten class
- Photos: Deadly fire in the Bronx
- Target data breach: 7 Things to know
Eyewitness News Links
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos