New Jersey News
New Jersey student dies at Lafayette College
EASTON, Pa. -- The mother of a Lafayette College freshman who died after he was found unconscious in a residence hall says her son had been drinking heavily at a celebration for his 19th birthday.
Everett Glenn of Montclair, N.J., was pronounced dead at Easton Hospital on Saturday afternoon, the school said. Officials said police and the Northampton County coroner's office were investigating, but there was no sign of foul play.
Glenn's mother, Joanne Glenn, told The Easton Express-Times that her son had been drinking as he celebrated his 19th birthday.
"He was drinking too much and then he went to his room and he laid down," Glenn said after a prayer service on campus.
She said an emergency room doctor told her that the cause of death was cardiac arrest.
Friends and classmates wept and embraced at Saturday night's service, which drew about one-third of the student body of just under 2,400 students.
"Every year (on his birthday), I got to see how much of a blessing he was to us," said his father, Leonard Glenn. "I can see from the outpouring tonight he was a blessing to your community too."
Joanne Glenn said her son had earned the nickname "Mr. Mayor" for his ability to make friends.
"God has given us this gift, but He wants him back," she said. "We have to let him go."
Lafayette President Daniel Weiss offered condolences to Glenn's parents and other family members.
"My thoughts are also with our students and all members of our community who share in this tragic loss," he said.
The school said counselors would be available to help students.
Get Eyewitness News Delivered
new jersey, montclair, alcohol, college drinking, new jersey news
- East Harlem investigators seeking clues in basement
- Photos: Accuweather maps for possible Monday snow
- AccuWeather: Cold, but milder
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- East Harlem Explosion: How to Help
- Photos: East Harlem explosion
- Mayor names Kathryn Garcia new head of sanitation
- Out of control bus hits cars in Brooklyn; 5 hurt
- Photos: Bus hits cars in Brooklyn 1 min ago
- Brooklyn shooting leaves 4 boys wounded
- Widow of Short Hills mall carjacking victim files suit 20 min ago
- LI hospital flooded with phone calls after insulin scare
- Malaysian leader: Plane's system deliberately disabled
- Mega Millions jackpot jumps to $400 million